cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start local application in Web Dynpro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to start a PC's local application (e.g. *.exe-File) in a Web Dynpro application, which runs on an (central) EP-Server.

What to do? What's the JAVA-Coding like? Thanks, Peter.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter

At what point do you want to launch the associated application of a file. Is it when the file to be opened is presented as an URL to the end user?

Regards

Pran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pran,

yes, that's it! Peter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you need to access some file from the client the you need to upload the file into the server using the upload element.

Even if you upload the element and tries to run it the way Bharathwaj has told you will end up running the .exe application in the server.( try doing it with a Notepad- the notepad would run in your server).

Can you explain you scenario better?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Noufal,

yes, I will try.

We have one central EP-Server, which is accessed by serveral (decentral) clients. These clients use a Web Dynpro application, a roadmap.

While processing this roadmap, the user should open a (PC-)local application in order to get info from (or change) a business object in this application.

The local application is NON-SAP. It is started in a certain step of this roadmap and must be embedded in the Web Dynpro application (iView, iFrame, ...).

hope to be detailed enough. Peter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The above link deals with the problem while reading a file from a system through WebDynpro. The solution is provided in around about way. so I don't think accessing an application in the local System would be possible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Noufal,

what the JAVA-Conding, when I try to embed the (server-)application to the WebDynpro application? Peter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Runtime r = Runtime.getRuntime();

Process p = null;

p = r.exec("Notepad.exe");

This code runs the applications like Notepad in your server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter

Interesting requirement. The only solution I could think of is one of the screen in your roadmap be a popup(JSP or HTML) that lauches an activeX control that can communicate with your local application. The activeX then posts the data to the server along with the SSO cookie which can be decoded to find the user from whom the request has occured(essentially because the ActiveX might not be able to aprticipate in the WebDynpro session).

Regards

Pran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Question, mate...

I reckon you got it all up and running already

mk

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe you are asking for a method to run a local application within a webdynpro application.

I don't think it would be possible as WebDynpro runs from the server and you wouldn't be able to access the local application. You might be able to run an application residing in the server not a local PC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Noufal,

it is possible! You may embed your local MS-WOrd or MS-EXCEL with the so called "Office-Control", e.g.

Peter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry I'm not one of the experts in this regard, but even for using the Office Control you need to have the file(word or excel) in the server, to the best of my knowlegde.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

For starting applications like notepad etc.,

you can ue the following

Runtime r = Runtime.getRuntime();

Process p = null;

p = r.exec("file name eg.Notepad");

But i think it will execute the files which are placed in system32 folder

Check it !

regards

Bharathwaj