cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hierarchies in demand planning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I would like to know if anyone of you have used the hierarchies feature in the info-object definition.

Say, I have Division, Category, Brand, Packsize and SKU as the levels of hierarchies, how can I tell the system this exact hierarchy level. If I have created an info-object "SKU code", there is a hierarchy tab wherein I can define this hierarchies in a particular order. But I have never used it before.

Could someone explain me more on this. If you have any standard proceedures for this please let me know.

Regards,

Kedar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kedar,

I think these are more relevant for BI especially for reporting purposes and not so for APO Demand Planning functionalities.

Also please check which may be relevant for you.

Thanks,

somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Somnath,

Thanks for the inputs. So typically in APO DP, the hierarchies are defined only by creating attributes of a base characteristic?

regards,

kedar

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No - in DP there is no "hierarchy" like in BW.

You can create navigational attributes of a base characteristic just for navigation and selection purpose but should not be used for planning (i.e. editing or entering data).

In APO DP planning is carried out at a characteristic value combination (CVC) level. For example Product, Product Group, Customer Location, Sales Office etc. are different characteristics. This is defined in Master Planning Object Structure. Then you create CVCs by populating unique value combinations for these characteristics.

In the data view when you access data you select these CVCs (lowest level or at an aggregate level) in the shuffler and the according data in keyfigures is displayed.

For example if you want to see data for a entire Product Group - you load the data for required product group from Shuffler. Internally the system will determine all the CVCs having that Product Group as a value and aggregate the keyfigure data to display in the data view.

So there is no separate hierarchy that you need to create in APO DP.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Somnath,

I am aware of the CVC situation, however we have a similar situation where we want to use characteristic hierarchies in DP, as we have a hierarchy with multiple levels where the number of them is not known yet.

The question actually is not if we can technically do it, but does it make sense from a planning point? When entering data on one characteristic on hierarchy node 3, does this also roll-up to nodes 2 and 1 like in BW? And disaggregate?

I haven't seen anything like that with any client in the past, but they did not have the same complexity as the current client... haha, as always!

Thanks in advance for knowledgable answer,

regards,

Klaus

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Claus,

I did not understand your question - what is meant by characteristic hierarchy and multiple level. Please note BW Hierarchy functionality is not "functionally" there in APO-DP, it may be there "technically" in the background (as I mentioned in the other forum post where you appended a similar ?).

It would be interesting to know your current client's exact requirement. But please always post a new forum thread.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Somnath,

even though I am practicing for 4 years now, I just joined the network here recently.

I opened a new thread .

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fabrice,

question here: why don't you compress the infocube content or archive it?

Unfortunately it is hard to do deletion the standard way, mostly because the variant can not be made dynamic...

Cheers and good luck,

Klaus