cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

link between ARIS/XI-BPM/CAF/BPP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I still have a problem understanding the full links between ARIS / XI-BPM / CAF / BPP. I guess I need it to be explained like I'm a 5 year old...

Looking at the functionality of CAF i'm a little bit puzzled. It seems CAF has its own process-modeling-tool to create guided procedures where pre-defined actions are triggered in a process-like way. The focus seems to be on human-machine workflow-interaction.

Besides this we have XI-BPM where process-steps are modeled by using ARIS as modeling tool but where the focus is on machine-machine interaction (i.e. message-workflow)

1. How do ARIS-XI-BPM and CAF relate to each other from a modeling/BPM point of view?

At first I thought you model the business process with ARIS, then decide on going either XI-BPM or CAF. But there is no link between ARIS and CAF?

How do I choose whether to go ARIS/XI-BPM or CAF?

I was told that "CAF is the composition tool of the BPP whereas ARIS is the modelling tool", but I'm not sure I understand what that means...

If someone could give me one (or two, as the case may be) simple scenario examples where I would use one option or the other, I'd understand.

Thanks, points will be awarded

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nilayghosh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me try to help you out:

<b>ARIS - </b>The ARIS Platform for Process Excellence provides all the tools for BPM Lifecycle management. It consists of 1. ARIS Strategy Platform, 2. ARIS Design Platform, 3. ARIS Implementation Platform and 4. ARIS Controlling Platform. But in the context of your query, its ARIS for SAP NetWeaver (part of the ARIS Implementation Platform) is the business process management solution for SAP NetWeaver and mySAP solutions. It helps design the process architecture of SAP solutions that have been optimally adapted to the company’s business processes.

XI-BPM - The BPM engine in SAP XI that supports execution of business processes. Till now the XI-BPM did not have support for human interaction. But with the release of the SAP PI 7.1 (formerly XI) towards the end of this year, it seems that the new XI-BPM engine will be based on BPEL 2.0 and will be aligned with BPEL4People standards supporting human task i.e. interactive process steps.

CAF - Composition Platform (with Designtime and Runtime) for creating composite application. It is both a methodology and toolset to build and manage Composite Applications, consming services from SAP and non-SAP applications.

BPP - The Business Process Platform is the combination of the technology infrastructure and the application platform (fundamental business functionality provided by highly reusable parts of SAP software). It provides a set of ready-to-use enterprise services as well as the infrastructure to deploy and manage enterprise services and to create composite applications. SAP, SAP partners, and customers can use this platform to build composite applications, enabling a specific business solution.

Here are some further reference that might help you.

<a href="/people/andre.truong/blog/2006/07/28/why-netweaver-as-composition-platform-matters-part-iii Netweaver as Composition Platform matters? Part III</a>

<a href="/people/andre.truong/blog/2006/07/16/why-netweaver-as-composition-platform-matters-part-ii Netweaver as Composition Platform matters? Part II</a>

<a href="/people/community.user/blog/2007/01/24/guided-procedures-explorations-bpel-integration-150-the-long-answer Procedures Explorations: BPEL Integration – The long answer</a>

<a href="">SDN Forum Thread: CAF GP <-> SAP XI BPM</a>

<a href="/people/stephan.schluchter/blog/2006/07/14/bpmn-or-epc or EPC?</a>

<a href="https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/2437">BPEL [original link is broken] - from "business" to "execution"</a>

Regards

Nilay

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Micol,

ARIS is just a modelling tool. you can design a business process using ARIS and can import that and use in XI -BPM.

Well, you can not use ARIS for CAF.

Diff Between BPM & CAF..

As of now, BPM does not allow human interaction / decision. XI is just an integration broker with predefined set of rules and business model.

In CAF, the actions are performed based on user decision.

where as in XI -BPM , routing or mapping is done based on message content .

Regards

Pushkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

perfect!!

Thanks