cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP Connection

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody

Our current problem is that we got a connection timeout during FTP access with the file adapter.

Delivery of the message to the application using connection File_http://sap.com/xi/XI/System failed, due to: com.sap.aii.af.ra.ms.api.RecoverableException: Error occurred while connecting to the FTP server "<IP-Adress>:21": java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out.

We think that we have problems with the firewalls, but we need to find the prove for it. The firewall has been opened in that way, that we can access from our PCs to the ftp server with explorer or filezilla.

How can I test that XI can access the ftp server. I did a ping under transaction OS01 and I could reach the ftp server. Can I use report RSBDCOS0 to test if the connection to the ftp server is possible from the firewall point of view (OS UNIX)?

Thanks for any help.

Regards Oliver

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oliver,

The easiest solution would be to establish a remote connection to the OS where XI is running and try to open an ftp session from the command prompt.

Kind regards,

Koen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Koen

That's exactly my problem. We have no access to the OS via remot sessions. The only way to access OS level is RBDSCOS01. Can I open a session from there?

Regards Oliver

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

or just put ftp://myFolder into a browser

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Udo

Of course I did that as I descibed before. We have access via explorer or filezilla to the ftp server, but the file adapter got the timeout!

Regards Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

well..since your problem is that the file adapter ends up with a time out, it is clear that there are network issues between your XI box , to be precise the adapter engine and the FTP host...and if you need the proof, its always better you have the output of OS commands....wont your basis guys be kind to log on to the XI box OS and just execute FTP <hostname> <port> and copy to o/p n give it to you ;)???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol

I am totally agree with you. My hope was to see from our site, what exactly needs to be set on FTP side to establish the connection.Therefore I have to force my Administrators.Unfortunately!

Regards Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

Without having access to the server, you cant run a proxy to watch the connection in real time (the proxy connection would have to originate from your machine rather than the server and therefor devalue the "proof"). That would of been my preferred method.

3 Other options I can think of:

• The options detailed above (get shell access and manually ftp from a shell).

• You could try writing a simple ftp script with logging to file, put it on the server (txn CG3Z) and then write an abap to run it at shell level.

• Or should your Network team be more approachable than your SysAdmin's then you could get them to do a realtime snoop on the connections to the remote server.

Hope that helps,

James Legg.