Former Member
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I tried to use relations between CMP-EntityBeans.

A relation of type 1:1 works fine.

But using a 1:N relation causes me problems:

- I defined the methods in the bean-class with the parameter-type "Collection"

- I defined the relation in ejb-jar.xml

- I defined the binding in persistent.xml

Result:

I can call the method "Collection getXY()" and I get the corresponding elements; this is OK.

If I have defined "cascading delete" in the relation, the childs are deleted as well; this is OK.

PROBLEM: I want to add an element to the Collection, I do something like this:

MyBeanLocal myBean = myBeanLocalHome.findByPrimaryKey(KEY_A);

MyChildLocal myChild = myChildLocalHome.findByPrimaryKey(KEY_B);

Collection childsOfMyBean = myBean.getMyChilds();

childsOfMyBean.add(myChild);

then I can do:

myBean = myBeanLocalHome.findByPrimaryKey(KEY_A);

childsOfMyBean = myBean.getMyChilds();

and wihtin this Collection, the new inserted child exists, this seems OK.

BUT: In the database, the entry is not made persistent;

Any idea?

Thanks, Josef

SvetoManolov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Josef,

it seems that this is a transaction boundaries problem. All updates made on the persistent entity objects are visible in the cache and are not visible in the database. I will explain in detail how the caching mechanism for the CMP entity beans works.

1. Every peristent entity is loaded from the database just once - the first time it is accessed by a transaction.

2. If a persisntent object is changed by a transaction it is stored in the database at the end of the transaction (again with a single database operation although the transaction may have performed a sequence of changes on that entity).

In your case I would propose to define a business method (may be in a session bean) that performs the update (the first four lines of code) and make it in a single transaction. The easiest way to do that is to declare a container managed transaction attribute "Required" or "Requires new". When that business methd ends, the transaction will commit and the persistent cache will be flushed into the database.

Regards,

Svetoslav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Svetoslav,

I have exactly the same problem!

Unfortunately the problem persists:

1. if i use "Required" I get some concurrency exception (which makes no sense to me, because the calls are relate not related (timely)

2. if i use "Not supported" I get the "caching behaviour" (modifications not in DB)

3. if i use "Requires New" the method doesn't seem to return any results (im gonna investigate this case further soon..)

Im gonna do some more research - but maybe anyone of you has already figured this issue out completely...

Thanks a lot!

Simon