cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number of server nodes for a dispatcher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there a maximum (recommended) number of server nodes that can be created per dispatcher, for the 6.40 J2EE Engine? We are considering using a 16GB RAM server with 1 dispatcher and 8 server nodes to run our EP6 SP18 portal. Are there any implications we should be aware of with this setup? Is there any additional configuration for the dispatcher necessary for a high number of server nodes?

Any advice greatly appreciated, points will be awarded.

Many thanks

Jane

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Technically there shouldn´t be a "hard limit" somewhere.

However, I´d not use 8 server processes. You will need to increase the memory for the dispatcher (by default it´s 170 MB). If you configure as the notes recommend you will have 2 GB Heap for each process, plus the database and the operating system memory, the system will start swapping.

I´d go for a max. of 6 server processes if you configure your database to not use more than 2 - 2,5 GB of memory.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your reply. I think 2GB heap for each process is the recommendation for EP7. For EP6, it is 1 GB so 8 server processes should be ok. Plus we have the database running on a separate machine.

Do you know how much I will need increase the dispatcher memory for that number of server processes?

Many thanks

Jane

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jane,

according to Note 723909 - Java VM settings for J2EE 6.40/7.0

[...]

For 64 bit platforms (that means not only your OS but also your JDK supports 64 bit) we recommend using 2GB: -Xmx2048m -Xms2048m

Take into account while planning your productive landscape: for NW 7.0 (04s) there is a general recommendation to use 64bit systems, see note 996600.

[...]

If the instance contains more than three server nodes we recommend to add 50MB of dispatcher heap for each additional server node.

So if you have Windows x64 you should set the heap to 2 GB and add 50 MB for each server node for the dispatcher.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

We are on 32 bit, so 1 GB heap recommended. I think the extra 50MB per server for the dispatcher is for both 32 & 64 bit. Thanks for the info.

Jane

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

at the moment under aix, 64bit, nw2004s the maximum number of server nodes is 16.

regards,

alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hello,

> at the moment under aix, 64bit, nw2004s the maximum number of server nodes is 16.

> regards,

> alexander

Hello,

at the moment under aix, 64bit, nw2004s the maximum number of server nodes is 16.

regards,

alexander

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for the information.

Is this information documented somewhere in SAPNote or help.sap.com ?

Regards,

Prashanth

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi R.Murali,

Sorry but I'm not talking about the SAP Web Dispatcher, I mean the internal J2EE dispatcher.

Many thanks

Jane