Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data type & length in SAP side!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i am working in a R/3 -legacy scenario.

In R/3 side there exist one table called YMD_ARTICLE...

now i have to make data type based on the 7 fields of that table YMD_ARTICLE..

and I have given the field name + type(vachar,timestamp,smaal int..etc..)+filed length....in the data type template...

Now my question is...wat should i give in type ...for the field...

i min can i use "xsd:string" for every field..... irespective of what given in the template....

Do we need to declare the lenght,type...for fileds of a DATA TYPE in XI...

if the DATA type is already there in the R/3 side.....

Can any one explain me......

thanks....

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

"xsd:string " is best for an abap proxy, the lenght that you set in the data Type must be the same of the table in R/3.

Set the lenght maximum e and minumum if you have to definie a WSDL o XSD to give to the legacy system.

bye

Claudio.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

>>> i min can i use "xsd:string" for every field..... irespective of what given in the template....

string can be used to handle other datatypes as well...but try using the same data type as in R/3...

when u know e.g the value can only be integer then use data type integer... this will also not allow values other than integer to pass...

hope it helps,

regards,

latika.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How are you planning to connect to R/3 system? I beleive you are looking into the ABAP proxy option.

If you are looking for RFC or IDOC then you dont create the data type at all.

If you are using client proxies, then you can go for a xsd:string for all fields. But this will not be the case for server proxies.

Regards,

Jai Shankar

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For accuracy, you can provide the same data type as for the fields in the table of R3 to the DT specified in XI. Else the next best option would be to declare them as string if the type is unknown to you.