Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer not working

former_member185943
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello!

I have installed a printer on my Widows 2003 Server (it's both application and database server for my SAP system) and it worked fine. I created a "standard printer" output device in SAP and everything was fine too.

Today, however, it doesn't print from SAP, although I haven't changed anything. On OS level it still prints fine. When I go to SPAD and check connection, I get a message "Unable to reach the remote host spool system". What could happen overnight? What checks could I perform (both on OS and SAP) to track down the problem?

Thanks!

Igor

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmmm,

This is a network printer right? Is there some DHCP going on here? Maybe some more info on how the printer is defined will help with troubleshooting.

former_member185943
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello!

Siddhesh's link to SAP help was a good hint - I found answer there.

Although there's a field for host name, the field <i>Host printer</i> requires full path.

I had

HPColorLaserJet2500

which worked fine for one day and then stopped. I still find this confuzing.

When I changed it to

\sapsrvHPColorLaserJet2500

it continued to work normally. Hopefully it will stay this way.

Thanks!

Igor

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Host printer

Enter the UNC name of the printer (name and network path) as it is defined in the Windows Print Manager.

Example:
P09330\P330

Enter __DEFAULT (underscore underscore DEFAULT) to use the default printer in the Windows Print Manager.

Regards,

Siddhesh

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I suppose what you are doing is front end printing in windows.

The use of frontend printing is the same at all frontend workstations and PCs. Just enter the name of a special frontend printer in the R/3 print options dialog.

But setting up frontend printing differs depending on whether your SAP GUI frontend software is running on a Macintosh, UNIX workstation, or Windows PC.

Prerequisites – Microsoft Windows

• SAP GUI frontend software version: Make sure the SAP GUI software on your PC is version 3.1G or higher.

To check: Start the R/3 logon program. The version is indicated in the title bar.

• SAPlpd version: Make sure the SAPlpd program on your Windows PC has a version number higher than 2.42.

To check: Start SAPLLPD.EXE. Choose Help ® About to display the version number. If the SAPlpd program is too old, you can get the newest version by installing the latest SAP GUI frontend software. Always make sure that you have the latest version of SAPlpd.

Prerequisites – UNIX

• SAP GUI frontend software version: Make sure that the SAP GUI software on your PC is version 3.1G or higher.

To check: Start the R/3 logon program. The version is indicated in the title bar.

• UNIX printer: To use frontend printing at UNIX workstations, ensure that each frontend workstation has a printer named __DEFAULT (underscore underscore DEFAULT).

UNIX systems do not offer a default printer designation that can be used for frontend printing. To use frontend printing, you must therefore define a UNIX printer whose name matches the value in the Host printer field.

• lp/lpd daemon: Make sure that lp or lpd (depending upon your UNIX system) has been started on your workstation.

Prerequisites – Macintosh

• SAP GUI frontend software version: Make sure that the SAP GUI software on your PC is version 3.1G or higher.

• lpd shareware: You must install software on your Macintosh that makes printing by way of an lpd printer daemon possible, as on a UNIX system.

For more information, see the "local printing README" file located in the Documentation folder in your SAP GUI folder. This file describes in detail how to install and set up the shareware application named "lpDaemon" on the Macintosh.

• Macintosh printer: A printer named __DEFAULT (underscore underscore DEFAULT) must be defined in the LPD program on the Macintosh.

If communication between frontend PCs and application servers in your SAP System runs through SAProuter, you should release the port for the gateway server in table SAPROUTTAB.

Please check the following link for defining printers for front end printing.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/38/5bc3f2e4bd11d18e2b0000e83dd9fc/frameset.htm

Hope that helps

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello igor,

What access method do you use ?

Dimitry Haritonov