cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long running export process- Migration of SAP ECC5.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to mirate our SAP ECC5.0 server from Windows 32 bit and Oracle 9i database to Windows 64bit and Oracle 10g databse.

We have started the export process from the existing server for the data of size nearly 70GB. The export process is running for the past 22 hours and still not completed.

Can anybody please tell me whether the time taken for the export process is a normal one and if so what will be the aproximately duration it will take for th export of 70GB data.

Thanks and Regards,

Abdul.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abdul,

as far as I know, there is no runtime estimation for "normal" migrations. But note #857081 "Unicode conversion: downtime estimate" will give you an upper limit, because the Unicode migration will took definitely longer than without conversion.

By the way - personally, I still think, a good rule of thump is that you could reach 6 GB/h per 1 GHz CPU core for the export and import (if you run them in parallel with MIGMON for example). Export alone could be considerably faster than that. I would assume at least at double speed. If you run on older XEONs calculate 4 GB/h per 1 GHz. May be it's getting clear with an example: If you run a Windows Server with two AMD64 Dual Core Opteron CPUs running at 2.8 GHz, you should be able to export (for Unicode conversion - which should be your upper limit) with a rate of 2 (CPUs) x 2 (cores) x 2.8 GHz x 6 GB / (h x GHz) = 67.2 GB / h. An early version of the note contains this numbers, but probably because of customer complains they changed it. This time is only the period of time the R3load processes runs, not the whole export process including statistics, size check... This is obviously only correct if your I/O subsystem is not the bottleneck.

But let me ask an other question: Why do you want to do an export - import for your system copy. You may use the same datafiles on Windows 64bit as on Windows 32bit. Just copy your Oracle 9i database onto your new hardware and run a normal database upgrade.

Regards

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,

Thanks alot for the information.

We are trying to move our existing SAP ECC5.0 server to a new clustered server. For this, we have planned to export the data from the existig server (32bit Windows OS and Oracle 9i) and then import it into the new server(64bit Windows OS and Oracle 10g) running in a clustered environment. And then to perform MSCS specific configuration steps.

As per your suggestion as to '"use the same datafiles on Windows 64bit as on Windows 32bit. Just copy your Oracle 9i database onto your new hardware and run a normal database upgrade", can we follow this in our scenario. If yes, could you please guide me with detailed steps for the procedure you have mentioned.

Thanks and Regards,

Abdul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abdul,

please use the link <a href="https://service.sap.com/systemcopy">https://service.sap.com/systemcopy</a> and select Media Library. Choose the System Copy Guide for your release (6.40 SR1 most probably) and follow the steps for an homogenous system copy for Oracle.

Regards

Ralph