cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expert Opionon on Landscape with Solution Manager 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts:

I would like your expert opinion of the following. (Points will be rewarded for all posts)

I have been tasked with setting up a DEMO environment involing Solution Manager 4 (SM4) , ECC 6.0 (ECC) and Business Intelligence 7 (BI7).

We would like this to be set up in such a way so that we could maximize Solution Manager and show its full functionality and capbility to our clients.

I was thinking of setting up the landscape in the following order.

3 Servers, OS: Windows, DB: MS SQL 2005

1. Setup SAP Transport Host (This will reside in SM4) This will be done as suggested in the SAP install guides.

2. Install SM4 through a Central Install (ABAP only System)

3. Post Install Activities (From SM4 Installation Guide)

4. Share the following in ECC (
SAPTRANSHOST\SAPMNT\trans.) and share it with SM4. (So, essentially ECC shares the same transport directory)

(I am not sure about the above step...please confirm here)

5. Install ECC through a Central Install (ABAP only System)

6. Post Install Activities (From ECC Installation Guide)

7. Share the following in BI7 (
SAPTRANSHOST\SAPMNT\trans.) and share it with SM4. (So, essentially BI7 shares the same transport directory as ECC and SM4)

8. Install BI7 through a Central Install (ABAP only System)

6. Post Install Activities (From BI7 Installation Guide)

I do realize that we also need EP7 for BI7, but that is being planned for release 2, the client is only interested BW lite at the moment.

Please feel free to critque the above and offer all alternatives.

Thanks!

I owe my SAP Basis Career to this site as I have learned so much here. Again, Points will be rewarded.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

DoloresCorrea
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Imran,

I will answer in your text...

I have been tasked with setting up a DEMO environment involing Solution Manager 4 (SM4) , ECC 6.0 (ECC) and Business Intelligence 7 (BI7).

-->Exactly with escenario? Implementation scenario, monitoring, Change request management, service desk???

We would like this to be set up in such a way so that we could maximize Solution Manager and show its full functionality and capbility to our clients.

-->OK! all scenarios

I was thinking of setting up the landscape in the following order.

3 Servers, OS: Windows, DB: MS SQL 2005

1. Setup SAP Transport Host (This will reside in SM4) This will be done as suggested in the SAP install guides.

2. Install SM4 through a Central Install (ABAP only System)

--->NOT possible, solman 4.0 has only one installation possibility, ABAP+J2EE

3. Post Install Activities (From SM4 Installation Guide)

4. Share the following in ECC (

SAPTRANSHOSTSAPMNT rans.) and share it with SM4. (So, essentially ECC shares the same transport directory)

---> You don´t need to share the trans folder for any solman scenario

5. Install ECC through a Central Install (ABAP only System)

6. Post Install Activities (From ECC Installation Guide)

-->ok

7. Share the following in BI7 (

SAPTRANSHOSTSAPMNT rans.) and share it with SM4. (So, essentially BI7 shares the same transport directory as ECC and SM4)

->Please don´t do it!!!

8. Install BI7 through a Central Install (ABAP only System)

6. Post Install Activities (From BI7 Installation Guide)

->Ok

I do realize that we also need EP7 for BI7, but that is being planned for release 2, the client is only interested BW lite at the moment.

-> With this two satellites, ECC and BI7 you work in Implementation scenario defining a Implementation project

->Also monitoring scenario and service desk will be cover

-->For change request scenario still you need to have at least two client in each satellite to be able to test the scenario

The transports managed by the solman must be done as always between roles

DEV->QUA->PRD of the same product release

Hope this helps,

Dolores

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank You for your Prompt Reply Dolores

Scenario:

For the PRD, it will be every thing. So we may be implementing every scenario in DEMO as well.

SM4 will be ABAP + JAVA ADD IN System is Fine too

If I don't need to share the trans folder then how does SM4 manage the transport requests (Implementation and Change Request)

My manager has suggested the above landscape design and he also suggested that he will design DEV, QAS and PRD with a single transport system managed through SM4. I am relatively new into basis (less than 2 years exp), so I need to be sure before I suggest an alternative.

From your reply I gather you are not comfortable with a single Transport Directory for the three systems. So, how do we link them together? So, you are suggesting to have 3 separate directories (ECC, SM4, BI7). And not one huge transport directory.

DoloresCorrea
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

You don´t need to share the trans folder, because for this escenario, change request you only need to activate domain links, this will allow you to see the transport domains for ECC and for BI in the stms of solman system. This is explain in detail in the spro configuration steps for the ChReMa scenario.

This is the only way.

In your case with an unique ECC, BI and Solman system, you need to configured

in ECC or Solman, BI can not have several clients, you have to create in ECC for

example 3 clients, each of them with one role customizing, testing and production.

After define in STMS the transport routes from ECC.100->ECC.200->ECC.300 and make this Domain_ECC, "visible" for solman system.

You don´t need to mix the trans at all, as in a good Landscape of ECC real systems you will not mix the trans folder with a landscape of other product.

Each landscape of one product must has its own transp directory.

This is how works, there is not other way, believe me.

I work currently in the Global Support Center of Spain in SOLMAN component mainly and before 8 year as Technical consultant also in SAP Spain Field services.

Hope this helps,

Dolores

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Dolores:

Thanks for clarifying all of my concerns. So, I am going to go ahead and set up the following DEMO environment.

Since, the 3 TMS don't need to be separate, I am going to install all systems through Central Install. I'll make sure that there is enough space in the trans folder.

1. Install SM4

2. Post Install for SM4

3. Install ECC

4. Post Install for ECC

5. Install BI7

6. Post Install for BI7

In order to set up a full demo systems, I am going to create mutliple clients in ECC (DEV, QAS, PRD) That will also allow me to demo solution manager capabilities.

Another question I have is related to the number of SM4 instances for DEV, QAS and PRD. I have two options for setting that up: Install single SM4 instance and manage everything through that (3 ECC Instances and 3 BI7 Instances).

Or

Should I atleast have 2 instances of SM4 available as well. So, 1 instance for QAS and PRD and one instance for DEV. What are you thoughts on that?

Thanks

Imran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dolores:

One other question, is there a particular sequence/best practice to implementing solution manager.

I have to design work plans and I would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Thanks

Imran