cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing text file (delimited, fixed width) with MDM Import Manager?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

According to the overview section of the import manager reference guide, it is possible to import from delimited text files (e.g. CSV).

But when it comes to the details, text files are not mentioned anymore. I also found no option in the Import Manager.

Could you tell me whether this is possible and - if it is - how?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Dennis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

(reopened question)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dennis,

We are on SP05 Patch01. There are new options in the Import Manager for Delimited Text and Fixed Text. I have yet to try an import with these options.

On the log in screen when selecting Fixed Text there is an additional entry needed for Columns, and when selecting Delimited Text there is an additional entry for the Delimiter.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

good to know!

Kind regards,

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

We managed to use this new function. However, we are only limited to use , as the delimiter as we are having problem using the Tab as the delimiter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MDM experts,

we would have to import text files (tab separated; unicode16). We have problem with accentuated letters (like áéíóöúüűÁÉÍÓÖÚÜŰ). If you have any solution for us, please provide me!

Thanks and regards,

Ádá

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MDM Experts,

we managed to import delimited (tab separated) text file. You should set ' ' to delimiter. The text coding must be UTF8, so it works by using accentuated letters, too.

regards,

Ádá

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just noticed that the ReferenceGuide of SP05 includes fixed and delimited text as input types.

I guess the new Import Manager has such options. Unfortunately, we don't have SP05 installed yet, and the Import Manager does not show the relevant input screen without it.

Does someone already use SP05 and can perform a short check?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

In order to import flat files into MDM do the following. This solution is specific to MS Windows:

I. Set up ODBC for *.txt or *.csv files

1. Open Data Sources (ODBC) interface:

Start> Settings> Control Panel--> Administrative Tools -->Data Sources (ODBC).

2. Select System DSN Tab in Data Sources (ODBC) interface.

3. Click on [Add]. Select the Microsoft Text Driver. Click Finish.

4. Write a Data Source Name

5. Uncheck Use Current Directory to enable the [Select Directory…] button.

6. Click on [Select directory…] to determine the source directory.

7. Select the source file.

8. Click [OK] and return to the ODBC Text Setup screen.

9. Click [OK].

10. Return to the ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog and click [OK].

II. Importing from Flat file

1. Run MDM Import Manager.

2. Select ODBC from the Type drop-down field of the Connect To Source dialog.

3. Enter the DSN name from the Setup ODBC Connection dialog above.

4. Select the file name with extension (.csv or .txt) in the Tables panel of MDM Import Manager and the file content in the Records panel.

Hope this solved your problem.Please mark helpful answers

Regards,

Santosh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm surprised there is no easier option available. After all, flat files should be a lot simpler to parse than e.g. Excel files...

Kind regards,

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

You might want to try the MDM Port. there is an option for you to automatically import delimited flat files. I have yet to try it but i think it should work. The advantage would that this would be an automaticate import.

Maybe also you can try to convert the flat file into Excel for easier import. Save that map and use it for the Port to import CSV type files. I hope it works.

Regards

Sulaiman