Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accuracy of statistics with SAPDBA

peter_strauss
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Regarding the accuracy of statistics calculation.

From SAP Note 588668 FAQ: Database statistics, we know that using BRCONNECT the accuracy of statistics calculation is:

21. With what degree of accuracy does BRCONNECT create statistics?

The accuracy of new statistics depends on the size of the table:

Fewer than 10,000 rows: Exact calculation (COMPUTE)

Fewer than 100,000 rows: ESTIMATE with 30 % of the table

Fewer than 1,000,000 rows: ESTIMATE with 10 % of the table

Fewer than 10,000,000 rows: ESTIMATE with 3 % of the table

More than 10,000,000 rows: ESTIMATE with 1% of the table

Can anyone tell me the accuracy of statistics calculation with SAPDBA?

There is no particular purpose to this question. It's a question I was asked so if someone could help I would appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Peter Strauss

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You should not use SAPDBA anymore, you should use BRCONNECT instead.

peter_strauss
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

My question was a bit silly I guess.

I will use BRCONNECT and not SAPDBA.

Kind regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Peter,

Whats your version of SAP . SAP doesn’t support SAPDBA anymore you should use brtools instead. Brtools internally calls Brconnect for updating/missing or deleting harmful statistics. So BRTOOLS replaces SAPDBA so I would say the accuracy will be same because both are calling the same thing for statistics calculation

Thanks

Prince Jose

peter_strauss
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Prince,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not using a particular sysem. It's just a hypothetical question that someone asked me during training.

If my understanding is correct SAPDBA used ANALYZE to update statistics, whereas with BRCONNECT can use either ANALYZE or DBMS_STATS.

I'm guessing that if you use BRCONNECT DBMS_STATS will use the same accuracy as ANALYZE.

This question is more for personal curiosity than for use in a live system. Advice is greatly appreciated but by no means expected!

Kind regards,

Peter

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it's more a question that refers to the Oracle version you are using. SAPDBA could be used up to Oracle 9i, BRCONNECT can be used on Oracle 9i and 10g.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

There are BRCONNECT versions that can be used with Oracle 8x.

This versions, same as SAPDBA are not maintained anymore, any issue, you will be recommended to upgrade your oracle and BR* version.

Regarding the initial question, you still can find information about old SAP version on the sap help portal: http://help.sap.com

In the 4.6B documentation you can find it:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46b/helpdata/en/0d/d2f8984a0c11d182b80000e829fbfe/content.htm

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

peter_strauss
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for your help. I think I can close this one now.

Regards,

Peter