cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is tthe role of ABAP Engine in EP server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi to All,

do any one of u let me know the role of ABAP engine in EP server! How can i make use of ABAP Engine. I know to work with J2EE Engine, but generally what we will do in ABAP Engine.

It looks to u all as a silly question, but i am not clear of this function, so i need a detail explanation of this.

Regards,

Sireesha.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

before there was a WAS 6.20 (Web Application Server) SAP's R/3 Applications were build up on the so called R/3 Basis System. One part of the R/3 Basis was the APAP/4 Runtime. This was true until R/3 version 4.5.

In parallel SAP started to develop a J2EE Application Server. They founded/buyed a company in Bulgaria called InQMy. You might know that the portal version EP5.0 was based on the InQMy J2EE engine.

Since R/3 4.7 the old R/3 Basis is called "Web Application Server" (WAS 6.20). Additional to the ABAP/4 Runtime this WAS contains the former ITS (Internet Transaction Server" and the BSP's (Business Server Pages). The old ABAP/4 Runtime is now called "ABAP Stack".

The old InQMy J2EE Server is now called "J2EE Engine" or "JAVA Stack".

With Release 6.40 of the WAS it contains both the ABAP Stack and the JAVA Stack.

Now to Your Question. A standarad EP installation just contains the JAVA stack of the WAS. The ABAP stack normally is not installed, because it is not used by the EP. You could install the ABAP stack in addition. But for what purposes ? Well if You would like to develop a webapplication based on BSP.

If You are allread running an R/3 System it contains an ABAP Stack but normally no JAVA stack.

The Java Stack of the EP Server can call the ABAP Stack of an R/3 System via RFC (remote function call).

More confused now ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey! thanks, hats of to u!Really great ur! i got so much information from starting to till date about java engine, but i have one more doubt here,

as u told using RFC we can communcicate to ABAP engine but that is need not be Engine which is coming with the EP server! Am i right?

since we r specifying the properties of a system so, that can be any external system, it is need not be our local ABAP engine, so how can i make use my ABAP Engine of EP server? other than for BSP appications!

Regards,

sireesha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Sireesha

You can have other SAP systems as backend for your EP applications . You can use ABAP system that comes with EP for CCMS(utlized for monitoring) or Solution Manager(for solution management but never tried coupling a Solution manager on to the ABAP stack thats is part of EP).

Otherwise dont use the ABAP stack at all, make the EP run on a Java only WAS.

Regards

Pran

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

one thing which comes to mind immediately is , it can be used to create web applications using BSP and use them in portal.

Regards

Raja