cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDMGX Configurations

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could somebody tell me how to do the configurations for MDMGX transaction? Is it possible to extract custom lookup table data using MDMGX transaction?

I am currently using ZMDME_EXTRACT_MATERIALS_553 program to extract my lookup table entries but this program doesnot extract the custom lookup table.

So could I use MDMGX transaction to extract custom lookup table data without modifying any program?

Please suggest!

Thanks

Tony

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

is there any way to download the files at application server level instead of locally to our pc?

thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi Chandrasekhar,

You can do one of the following:

1. Run the transaction MDMGX on the SAPGUI on application server and save the generated XML on that. or,

2. Map a drive of your application server on your desktop and run MDMGX here and save the file in the mapped drive.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Rajnesh Mishra

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

this is correct, you can use MDMGX for this. Please check <a href="http://service.sap.com/installmdm">Service Market Place</a> for document "MDM 5.5 SP05 - Generic Extractor for Reference Data" that contains the detailed documentation and how-to for MDMGX. SAP note 964991 is another good starting point for MDMGX as well.

If you have access to the latest MDM SP5 Patch 1 downloadables, you can extract the standard MDMGX configuration from the business content packages. In addition to those you can add your custom table accordingly.

Kind regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

However I already had gone through this documentation. I have followed the following steps -

1) Define object types - 4 object types are alrady defined from which I am using product.

2) Define Repositories and FTP servers - Here I have entered the follwing parameters -

Logical repository name - Z_ATLAS_MATERIAL_S

ObjectType - Product

Reposit. Name (Code) - Z_ATLAS_MATERIAL_S

FTP Server - My FTP server address

MDM Root - Havent filled this field as I am not posting my file dirctly to the MDM port folder as FTP is not activated for that. However I want to post my xml directly to the FTP folder.

3) Maintain Ports and Check-Tables - Here I have entered the follwing parameters - SYSTEM_TYPE - R/3

OBJECT_TYPE - Product

TABLE_NAME - Here I have givin the name of my custom lookup table (Not the standard R/3 one)

Now I started my extraction by giving FTP username and password and I am getting the error as "No customizing entries found for this extraction".

Could you please suggest as where I am going wrong.

Thanks

Tony

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

you're welcome.

1) Sounds OK. But if you add a custom table, I'd recommend that you create a Z-Obkect type to ensure that your custom configuration is never overwritten by any SAP update! Using the standard SAP delivered object type may lead to a deletion of your custom configuration if someone applies a new SP to the R/3 system.

2) Regarding MDM Root:

you can do it this way (not to write the files directly into MDMs port folders), but MDMGX creates a path to the port folder internally for the FTP data transfer. In other words, MDMGX expects the port folder structure in your FTP directory. If this is not the case, this means that the target forlders do not exist and the FTP is unable to put the data into your FTP directories. On the other hand, if you do not want to download the data into the MDM ports, did you check the local download option of MDMGX?

3) Did you enter a value for MDM Portcode? You should do so because this is the folder name where the FTP put the data into. Additionally you have to define the fields that should be extracted from your customizing table, too.

Did you define a repository name (Code) for extraction? This is the first field in the "Start Extraction" Screen. I'd recommend not to type in the name manually but to select it from the F4 Help belonging to this field!

Kind regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Lets try to make this simpler. Can we not use MDMGX to download customizing table entries (in XML format) directly to a folder on my desktop?

I want to do away with defining my MDM repository and FTP setting parameters in the transaction.

When I try to extract data from a table, it never asks me to choose the field names in the step: Maintain Ports and Check-Tables. I am asked to save a variant for the table and after this, the Non-Lang and Lang fields just do ot give in any input help. In the MDMPORT, I am providing the name of a folder which resides on my desktop and has no FTP service running on it. Hence, my FTP parameters are all left blank.

In the step: Start extraction, I am using the Local Download option.

Please suggest where am I going wrong! Its kind of urgent.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

<b>start extraction</b>

Sure, you can do this. The "Start Extraction" screen offers two possibilities for downloading data. One is FTP the other is the local download.you can control this by un- or setting the options "Local Download" and "Upload via FTP". If you do not use FTP, please unset checkbox "Upload via FTP". Using the local download, you should maintain a "File Directory". Use the F4 help on the input field to browse your local PC for the desired folder. If you do not do this, MDMGX stores the extracted XMLs on your first hard drive directly in the root "C:\".

Secondly you have to select a repository configuration you want to extract the reference data for. Use the F4 Help for field "Reposit. Name (Code)" to select your repository configuration!

<b>Maintain Ports and Check-Tables</b>

If you maintain ports and checktables you should see a list of fields:

<i>CLIENT</i>

=> maintained by the system

<i>SYSTEM TYPE</i>

=> SAP systems have different default check tables. Therefore MDMGX has to differentiate between the system. You should select the system type of your system here

<i>OBJECT TYPE</i>

=> There are extractors available for different object types as those objects have a different set of customizing table. You could either choose an existing type (this would create an enhancement for a SAP delivered object type) or you can choose a object type that you've created before in "Define Object Types". I'd recommend the second possibility because this ensures that your data is not lost if you apply a SAP update to your system.

<i>MDM PORTCODE</i>

=> should contain the Folder Name of the MDM Port that you use for the data import to MDM with Import Sever. In your case, as you're not using the ports, you can type anything into this field.

<i>TABLE NAME</i>

=> this is the name of the system table you want to extract

<i>NONLANG FIELDS</i>

=> you must provide the name of the fields and the name of their corresponding XML tags manually!

Example: your table has a key field called "TABLE_KEY" and a languange independent field called "TABLE_VALUE". You want to extract both fields. In you reference data XML that you want to use for importing the data to MDM the XML tag for "TABLE_KEY" should be named "Key", the one for the value should be named "Value". Then the entry into the import field has to look like:

TABLE_KEY=Key,TABLE_VALUE=Value

In general:

<name of the customizing table field>=<name of its XML tag> 
where multiple fields are comma separated without blanks

<i>LANG FIELDS</i>

=> similar as above, but used for multilingual fields

<i>WHERE CLAUSE</i>

=> used for a SQL Where Clause to limit the selection of reference data

<i>LINK INFO</i>

=> used for joining two tables. This is normally required if you have multilingual fields. SAP stores the keys and non multilingual fields in one table and the multilingual texts in a second table. Using the link info you can join both tables to select the keys with their multilingual texts.

<i>FUNC XML</i>

=> offers the possibility to code an ABAP function module for data selection

<i>FUNC XSD</i>

=> offers the possibility to code an ABAP function module for XSD creation (the XSd is used to import the data with Import Manager / Import Server later)

<i>PROCESS LEVEL</i>

=> used to create a processing order for ports. In some cases (within the product) it is required that the reference data is imported in a specific sequence.

Hope that helps, if not, please describe in details where you're still struggling.

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am getting a error message during mdmgx transuction  Message no. MDM_GX_MSG001.Please suggest