cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which java exceptions are "critical"?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a production EP 7.0 with 1000+ users using ESS/MSS and CRM and soon BI. The J2EE engine is throwing 1000s of exceptions (actually there are 10081 in default.X.trc), how do I know, which ones of those impact production? We have SolManDiag and Wily in place but I haven´t found yet anyone, who´s able to tell me how to monitor the portal, not in sense of performance but in sense of proactive monitoring.

Example:

If I see something like

#1.5#00118513360B0059000002C2000017680004323F12C40B83#1181146386008#com.sap.portal.portal#sap.com/irj#com

.sap.portal.portal#reichmannj#162823##portal_POP_5365450#reichmannj#c9643260144811dcc0c200118513360b#SAPE

ngine_Application_Thread[impl:3]_24##0#0#Error#1#/System/Server#Plain###ErrorPage: com.sap.pct.hcm.employ

eeprofile.monitoringoftasks.r3proxies.Hrwpc_Rfc_Montask_Getlist_FaultException: - NO_AUTHORIZATION#

is that a systemic error that an administrator/operator needs to take care of or is this "just" a user trying to execute something he has no permissions?

Second example is

#com.sap.sql.types.BigintResultColumn#Guest#1####1f131960148a11dcb39700118513360b#SAPEngine_Application_T

hread[impl:3]_24##0#0#Error#1#/System/Database/sql/types#Java#com.sap.sql_0019##Exception of type com.sap

.sql.log.OpenSQLException caught: Cannot fetch column 2, which has JDBC type BIGINT, into a Java variable

of type int..

#3#com.sap.sql.log.OpenSQLException#Cannot fetch column 2, which has JDBC type BIGINT, into a Java va

riable of type int.#com.sap.sql.log.OpenSQLException: Cannot fetch column 2, which has JDBC type BIGINT,

into a Java variable of type int.

at com.sap.sql.log.Syslog.createAndLogOpenSQLException(Syslog.java:85)

at com.sap.sql.log.Syslog.createAndLogOpenSQLException(Syslog.java:124)

at com.sap.sql.types.TypedResultColumn.fetchError(TypedResultColumn.java:74)

at com.sap.sql.types.TypedResultColumn.getInt(TypedResultColumn.java:91)

at com.sap.sql.jdbc.common.CommonResultSet.getInt(CommonResultSet.java:369)

I can see that this is some sort of SQL error but I don´t see who or what triggered that command (there´s nothing above or below) nor do I see here, what´s the cause of that. For me it´s impossible to distinguish, if I need to react and do something or not.

Can anyone throw a light on that please? I´d HIGHLY appreciate...

Regards,

--

Markus

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Unfortunately there is no such tools, and all troubleshooting on portal is heurisitic, you got problem then you see some related errors in logs. So if users go to you with some complaints (and also with case to reproduce it, so you will know the reasons of these errors) that something is not working you fix it, if no you will have lack of required information to fix it. Of course it's still possible, but much harder.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That´s the point - I want to get an information whatsoever BEFORE users complain and BEFORE I get a dozen tickets of maybe the same problem.

Actually, those error messages I posted are repeated again and again in the traces. Something must be running on the portal but I´m pretty lost here due to the lack of comphrehensive understanding "what piece of software calls what".

So - in fact that means, I have as administrator NO CHANCE to monitor the system appropriately? I may not have any roles for CRM or ESS/MSS or I´m lacking some backend configuration in those areas so I can´t even login interactively and "guess" and "check" what I think what MAY run wrong.

Really a weird technology...

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, true. The problem is that SAP environment is very heterogeneous. And f.e. SQL exception can be thrown from different systems because of different actions and so on. Sap logs and monitoring tools is rather poor to compare with complexity of environment. And the most easy is to configure logs in right way,so different app writes errors to different logs.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The main problem is, that nowhere is documented, how to configure. If we do implement BI-Java, I have absolutely no clue, what needs to be configured in sense of monitoring and where to have a special look on. I´m aware that tuning a system is an iterative process and that there is no "default-is-good" configuration, but a little help (in sense of documentation) will be very helpful.

I don´t know, if some BI-Java parts use SLD or not, it´s simply a blackbox, one has a step-by-step (well, almost) configuration guide, but one does not know, how each components interact with each other, with the portal or the backend.

Imagine if ABAP (what is a virtual machine as Java is) wouldn´t have ST22, ST04, ST02, SM21, SM50/SM66 but just simple textfiles where everything from each module/component is written as plain text bumped into one single file. If 1000 users work on the system concurrently and you have an 8 MB textfile at the end of the day, wouldn´t you ask if that could be done "better"?

Maybe I´m just too demanding and spoiled from ABAP but if we put a system of that size into production I must have a possibility to track, to monitor and to "watch" the system in a way, I can decide, whether I need to act or not. If that´s not possible as of now, I´m really wondering, if we use the right "tool" if that amount of complexity and abstraction is necessary to achieve the goal. I don´t feel good and what I read here doesn´t add the feeling of "good, we will be able to manage it somehow".

The purpose of a portal is (in the end) to make tasks easier (to optimize a business process) and eventually help the company to gain more money, it´s not to have technology ending it itself due to an unmanageable amount of complexity.

--

Markus

Answers (0)