cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File to IDOC Scenario: where to import the idoc structure?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have a short organizational question for you all. I have created a scenario where the MDM server places a file in a FTP directory and XI will take it from there for processing to IDOC towards the SAP system.

During design time I need to import the IDOC structure as the inbound interface for the SAP system.

My question in this situation is: do I import the IDOC into the namespace of the MDM (in which I keep the outbound interface and the mappings) server or do I place it in the namespace of the SAP system?

I ask this because in the latter case the IDOC structure will be the only object in the SAP namespace. If I do not do this, I don't have to create this.

What is the right thing to do from an organizational point of view?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can follow whatever strategy you want to. The best strategy would be to create all objects related to , all objects relatesender in one SWCVd to receiver in one SWCV and common objects like message mapping, interface mapping in one SWCV. You can even put all the objects in same SWCV.

Regards,

Sudheer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sudheer,

tanks for you reply.

When you separate all the objects and put the common object (mappings) in another SWCV, do you then create a dummy SWVC for those?

I normally separate all the objects and put the common objects in the source SWCV. However with IDOC imports, it is only the IDOC import for which you then need to create a complete SWCV and namespace.

So, what is the standard way of organization?

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Schotanus

Do you have like a "source" and a "target" sWC?

I am afraid such a kind of organization is not a recommended one.

Usually, you create/maintain all objects that come under a SWC.

Regards

krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

A good practice could be to have three SW

1. For Sender object (MDM interface and message type, data types in your case)

2. For Receiver object (For eg. SAP components in your case)

3. For Integration scenario , BPM and mapping objects.

But as far as importing IDoc interface is concerned, standard IDocs like MATMAS, CREMAS will be used in many sceanrios. So it is advisable to import these IDoc interfaces in a dedicated Software component(eg. XYZ SWC) . Then your Receiver/ Sender SWC can have usage dependencies on XYZ SWC which has all IDoc interface.

Next time anyone else wants use the Idoc interface for his scenario, he will not have to reimport it in his SWC. Just mention the SWC dependency in SLD to XYZ SWC.

Yomesh

Message was edited by:

Yomesh P Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Krishna,

I have a source and a target SWCV. I put all the data types, interfaces etc. of the source SWCV in there including the mappings.

Normally I would put the data types, interfaces etc. of the target under the target SWCV. However, with communication with IDOCS I would only need the IDOC structure. So, I feel I could also just import the IDOC into the source SWCV.

What do you recommend? Could you elaborate on this?

Cheers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Schotanus,

One option is to put the IDOC structure in the target SWC as your IDOC is on the inbound side. But you can follow the approach suggested by Yomesh to avoid duplication.

I have never worked on an interface where i have come across separate SWC for the source and targets.

Is this a best practise ?

is there any document on this??

regards

krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Yomesh,

Thank you for your answer. I will use the scenario with standard IDOCs; creating a SWC for all standard IDOCs and add dependencies.

However, for normal operations would you use a SWC for common objects? So three SWCs per connection you set up? I always was under the impression that the common objects were best placed under the source SWC.

Then what about naming conventions and to which system do you asign the "common" SWC?

Cheers.

Auke

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishnamoorthy,

We chose to have seperate SWC in our scenario for the reason of reusability.

We manage our Repository centrally, by keeping a track of how many different interfaces are created. Every new interface has an interface ID. Mostly in real time scenarios we work only with Standard message types, like EDIFACT standards.

So in such cases when your scenarios starts increasing, many of the interfaces are duplicated. To avoid creation of same type of interface many times one type of messages are stored in one SWC.

And Mapping are stored in a third component which can make use of any SWC as sender or receiver. SAP XI allows to do this as in a mapping object source and target message type can be from any SWC.

I dont have any standard document on this, but this could be benificial in maintaining your repository when you have many scenarios.

Regards,

Yomesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Schotanus,

You dont need to assign Common SWC to any System.

naming convention could be

Sender system : <BusinessArea>_MDM

Receiver System : <BusinessArea>_SAP

Common component : <BusinessArea>_Common.

Dont mention sender or reciver in the name of the SWC as a SWC acting as sender in one scenario could be a receiver in other scenario.

Regards,

Yomesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, you just create SWC for storing common objects.

Quick question: in technical terms, does it even matter in which SWC you put any of the files. No, right? There is no technical connection between the objects stored in the SWC of a business system and the communication set up during configuration time between the systems.

So, the SWC just acts as a container, with a logical name...

Getting there....

Cheers,

Auke

Message was edited by:

A. Schotanus

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right Auke, technically there is no connection , whether you place your objects in any SWC in IR.

cheers,

yomesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, that makes sense.

Another question on this topic then. Do you always create your objects for a business system under a "real" SWCV or do you create your own dummy SWCs as containers for your development? So when I work from the SAP system, I always create my objects under a real SAP SWCV like SAP BASIS 6.20. Is this normal practise or do you create your own SWCs under a system?

Thanks a lot for your help so far!!

Cheers,

Auke

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think its better to use our own SWCV's, as the name of SWCV helps us in understanding the landscape better.

Regards,

Sudheer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Auke,

We generally create our objects in our own created SWC. Dont modify any SAP standard SWC like SAP BASIS 6.20.

Actually speaking I dont even have rights to modify these standard objects.

• Please award points if you got satisfactoryu answers to your previous questions.

Thanks,

Yomesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yomesh and Sudheer,

thanks for your answers. To conclude this topic I will demonstrate how I have understood this all by giving you a short overview of how I will proceed now. Could you please comment???

Sender system is a SAP MDM system. For which I will create a SWC called <Company name>_MDM_DEV version 1.0.

For the receiving SAP Enterprise system I will create an additional SWC called <Company name>_SAP_DEV version 1.0.

And thus I do not put any objects under SWCs from the original installed product components.

Then I create a SWC for common objects as IDOCs (to what product does that need to be assigned???)

Then I will put the interface and message types in the corresponding SWCs and put the mappings in the source SWC as our landscape is not that huge.

How's that???

So under which product to create the SWC for common objects is my final question...

• I will provide points to you both.

Cheers,

Auke

Message was edited by:

A. Schotanus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You dont get confused that each and every product that you create in SLD need not point to actual(physical) product in the landscape. We do create some dummy products for the SWCV that we have discussed above.

Your understanding is right. As you are saying that your landscape is simple you can us the SWCV that you are using to store receiver objects for importing idocs. Generally we use a separate SWCV to store most commonly used datatypes,xsd's etc.

Regards,

Sudheer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, so create dummy SWCs for normal objects pointing to real products. And creating dummy products and dummy SWCs for common objects, e.g. IDOCs.

Right?

Thanks a lot!!

Auke