cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport & Management of XI Objects in diff Env.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Currently our System landscape is having ONE DEV SAP R/3 Server, ONE TEST SAP R/3 Server with 4 clients and ONE PROD SAP R/3 Server & ONE SAP XI DEV Server and ONE SAP XI PROD server.

I integrated DEV & TEST ( 3 Clients ) SAP R/3 Servers with Non-SAP Business Systems using SAP XI DEV Server. In SLD, I created different product & SWCV for DEV & TEST SAP R/3 servers & two Technical Systems for DEV & TEST SAP R/3 servers & 5 Business Systems ( 1 for DEV & 4 for ( 4 clients ) TEST SAP R/3 Servers )

Now I would like to integrate one client of TEST SAP R/3 Server & PROD SAP R/3 Server with SAP XI PROD server.

I plan to maintain Master SLD in DEV SAP XI Server for this I will create SLD objects for PROD SAP R/3 Server & then I will export complete DEV SLD to SLD of PROD SAP XI Server. I will transport the IR objects of DEV XI Server using File transfer method to PROD XI Server. Using this approach I will be able to integrate one client of TEST SAP R/3 Server with PROD XI Server. But as I created different product & SWCV for PROD SAP R/3 Server in SLD, I will be having different SWCV in IR of PROD XI Server so I need to copy the design objects from TEST SWCV to PROD SWCV in PROD XI Server.

Now in order to maintain the consistency of objects between TEST & PROD objects I have to manually keep the track of changes & copy them everytime.

Is their any other way to efficiently manage the changes between different environments & maintaining consistency w.r.t to above mentioned landscape.

I already read " How to Handle the SLD for SAP XI " & weblog <a href="/people/sap.india5/blog/2005/11/03/xi-software-logistics-1-sld-preparation XI Software Logistics 1: SLD Preparation "</a> but not able to find the efficient way.

Can you pls. suggest.

- Lalit -

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lalit,

><i> In SLD, I created different product & SWCV for DEV & TEST SAP</i>

Can you let us know why you did this? Does this imply that in your Dev XI 'r IR , you have the integration cotnent across different SWCV's? Any special reasons for this? Is this content different? Can you give more details?

Also, to copy the content of one SWCV into Another ( you would just need to create the Namespaces manually ), try to use the option Tools --> Release Transfer in your IR.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh

As we have one DEV XI Server only so I created different Product & SWCV for DEV & TEST SAP R/3. For e.g

<i>ORG_Dev, 1.0 of AB

ORG_Test, 1.0 of AB</i>

I imported these SWCV in Dev XI IR & Integration content is same but having different namespaces for both the SWCV so I actually copy all the objects from DEV SWCV to TEST SWCV. I can't use Release Transfer in this case, as the target namespaces must have the same names as those namespaces from which we want to transfer the objects.

Now if you will ask " Why different namespaces ? " , initially we had the different System architecture & I designed my software logistics according to that but in middle one of the DEV XI server was scrapped & I transported all my IR content to TEST XI Server which is in current situation is DEV XI Server.

Now what am I thinking to transport the SAP R/3 TEST SWCV ( as I have to maintain one of the TEST client ) in PROD XI Server. Then I will import TEST SWC & PROD SWC of SAP R/3 in PROD XI, also I will lock the object attributes of PROD SWC of SAP R/3 ( so that objects cannnot be modified ) & will use Release Transfer to transport the objects from TEST SWC to PROD SWC. And whenever there will be any enhancement in TEST SAP R/3, I will update Integration content in both DEV & PROD XI Servers.

What do you think is this efficient approach .

- Lalit -

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> As we have one DEV XI Server only so I created

> different Product & SWCV for DEV & TEST SAP R/3. For

> e.g

> <i>ORG_Dev, 1.0 of AB

> ORG_Test, 1.0 of AB</i>

>

There SWCV 's and Product Names should never be used with Dev ,Test etc. These should be landscape independent.

Going forward, what I would suggest is that you use only one SWCV and its name should be generic independent of the landscape and this should be moved from QA to Prod.

If you do not want to continue maintaining the Dev SWCV in the QA Box, just ignore it, make all changes to the QA SWCV and move it to production and so on.

But, there is no direct way of changing the Name of SWCV's ( like for Busss System we have Transport Targets ) and so this can be a tricky issue as in Prod you will have the SWCV name with _test .

If its still early days, make the name of the SWCV and Product independent of the landscape, decide which is the Base landscape where all changes are going to be made and then use this to move to any further landscapes.

Regards

Bhavesh

PS: Did it make sense?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bhavesh.

But as I earlier said I am having one XI DEV for both DEV & TEST SAP R/3 then in this case how was it possible to manage/create objects using generic SWCV for SAP R/3.

I guess I should created the SWCV like this

<i>ORG, 1.0 of AB</i>

& then for TEST SAP R/3, increase the version like

<i>ORG, 2.0 of AB</i>

& then I would be able to use the Release Transfer also.

I agree with you that in PROD we will have SWCV with " _test " but we are actually connecting one of the TEST client with PROD XI Server so that we can test this server before using it for PRODUCTION purpose.

- Lalit -

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lalit,

What does having multiple Clients on your R3 have to do with the integratuion content in IR?

You can create multiple Config Scenarios in XI using the same Message Interface from the Same Single SWCV.

When doing the configuration in ID , you only provide the interface name and namespace and never do we use the SWCV anywhere except than for selection purposes.

So, maintain the Integration Content in a Single SWCV and then create the Config Scenario for Dev / QA individually as per requirement.

As your Business Systems will vary (_Dev , _QA ) etc this will not cause an issue at all.

Regards

Bhavesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lalit,

another way to transport IB content through your XI landscape is using CMS component of Netweaver Development Infrastructure.

Find more information in the HowTo guide https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f85ff411-0d01-0010-0096-ba1...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Juergen.

But I would like to use File Transfer method only.

- Lalit -