cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECM vs ECR/ECO

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have an ECM configuration question. I'd like to lock an object when an ECM and object are linked as long as the ECM isn't released.

Using Tcode CA02 the change number field is required. When an ECM would be entered I'd like it "to error out" if that routing object was already attached to a change number and not released.

Currently we can have multiple ECMs open and attached to the same objects. Can this config be done with ECM? If so I'd appreciate the config info or any ideas on how to accomplish this task.

If this can't be done with ECM I assume ECR/ECO can do this. Is that correct? And finally can someone point me to a resource to read about the differences between ECM and ECR/ECO. My company failed to hire an ECM expert...just a handful of people who have basic knowledge. Consequently we've gone down this path to use ECM instead of ECR/ECO and now are finding some advantages ECR/ECO could of brought us (one advantage being workflow).

Thanks!

Jake Schmidt

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jake,

I understand ECM as "Engineering Change Management" which comprises of ECR & ECO which is Engineering Change Request and at certain point (Status) it changes to Order i.e. it becomes Engineering Change Order.

So where is the difference in ECM vs ECR/ECO

i.e ECR/ECO are part of ECM.

Regarding your Scenario,

As per my understanding, SAP System will Error Out When you try to change the Same Object which is attached to a Change Number without Release yet.

I.e. Till you release the existing change Number for that particular Object, you can't assign a New Change Number to the same Object.

Regards

Rehman

Reward Points If Useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alright so it sounds like ECR/ECO is what I want...

By ECM I mean a change master. So we are currently creating change masters instead of ECRs. My question is can you configure a CM to behave like an ECR/ECO? Currently multiple CMs can be linked to a single object (and these multiple CMs are not released).

I apologize for not clarifying in the beginning.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jake,

ECR/ECO has a Fantastic features of Status Management which is a kind of workflow you can set & use as, You can even give authorizations on each status and control it fantastically.

CM doesn't have Status Mangement you need to create a profile with Status, but CM should be used with Release KEy concept so that, the changes you made should get affected. i.e. for Order Change Management. or with Alternative Dates assigning it to Objects.

You can use CM like ECR/ECO if you assign an alternative Dates to Objects attached, then it will work similar to ECR/ECO.

Regards

Rehman

Reward If Useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jake,

The different between the Change Master and ECR has been asked me previously in the forum. For that i got the reply saying that, in general for some of the changes you may not need any approval, but you need a log of the changes you made. For that cases we need to use the Change Master. Where as ECR/ECO so many stake holders & approvers will be involved.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks,

Rajesh.