cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help!!! xMII never started 'The Page Cannot Be Found" HTTP 404 Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all.

I used to have my xMII services up and running without a problem. However, today it doesn't work at all!!! As usual, at Services window, I started the ServletExec-xMII service and open IE to access the main menu page http://localhost:1080/Lighthammer/Menu.jsp. (PS, I changed the default port 80 to 1080 according to the company security policy. It works fine with xMII before.) I always get the page as

The page cannot be found 
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the localhost:1080 home page, and then look for links to the information you want. 
Click the Back button to try another link. 
HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Information Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

More information:
Microsoft Support 

I suspect the ServletExec engine doesn't work. Does anyone know what happened? And where can I find the log file eachtime the servlet service is started?

Thanks a lot in advance!!! I need to get this work by this week!!!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yue,

You mentioned that xMII previously worked.

Can you please elaborate on exactly what you changed on your xMII server?

Thanks,

Michael Teti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I just changed the file under C:/Lighthammer/Illuminator/Conf/Roles/DemoUser.xml

Previously the DemoUser.xml contains two directories that a user with DemoUser role can access, but the new requirement is to add two more directories that a user can access. So I modified this DemoUser.xml and add two more directories.

Even though I rolled back the changes that I have done in DemoUser.xml. The service still doesn't show up.

The problem is, I don't know where I can see the logs whenever the server starts up. I don't even know where I should look into...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to confirm...

You created an xMII role called "DemoUser".

Did you modify it from the xMII Security Manager UI?

Can you elaborate on what you mean when you said you created "directories"?

The xMII application logs are located under C:\Lighthammer\logs.

The ServletExec logs can be found under C:\ServletExec AS\se-xMII\ServletExec.log.

Do you see anything in the logs?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I have check both C:\Lighthammer\logs.and C:\ServletExec AS\se-xMII\ServletExec.log. Neither of them has been touched by today. Its modificaiton date are both still May 14. which should be today's date. That means the service is not up at all, right?

I created an xMII role called DemoUser. I created from Security Manager UI. I also modify the content navigation for this demo user role. However, I didn't use the UI to modify the content navigation. I found the DemoUser.xml and modify it manually. is this the reason?

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's never recommended to manually edit xMII configuration files.

Have you reverted the DemoUser.xml file to its last state when you were successfully able to run it (May 14th-ish)?

Where there any other manual configuration changes?

Regards,

Michael Teti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Now I know I should never change the files manually!

That is the only file I have ever touched.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is the result similar even if you do a http://<machinename:port>/Lighthammer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please confirm that the IIS Web Server is running. Open the IIS console and navigate to the default web site. Right-click and Browse. You can also navigate to it directly from IE. Eg. In Windows XP, the default page is http://localhost/localstart.asp. What happens?

Regards,

Michael Teti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it is the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael, the IIS service works fine. http://localhost:1080/localstart.asp. gives the page saying " Your web service is now running. "

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yue,

Please confirm that the IIS Web Server is up and running.

Regards,

Michael Teti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you by any chance upgrade Java on your server?Or can you recall any installation/uninstallation on the server just before xMII stopped working?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yue,

When you adjusted the IIS port from 80 to 1080, did you also adjust the url to the xMII Security Server?

While this setting should be adjusted via the UI, it is located in C:\Lighthammer\Illuminator\Conf\SystemConfig.xml. Open this file in a text editor and adjust the following node to read as below...

<cas-servers>

<server>http://<YOURSERVERNAME>:1080/LHSecurity</server>

</cas-servers>

Regards,

Michael Teti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael and Udayan

Finally the problem is solved. I uninstall my jdk 1.4.2.07 and reinstall it.

Thank you very much for your help!!!