Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packing process

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Can somebody throw some light on the packing process, especially the masterdata settings needed.(Creation of packaging material, HU etc) and the configurations.

I have done some but now stuck in the middle

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

before creating the packaging material you have to go to:

IMG-Logistics Execution-Shipping -Packing.

1. Define packaging material types- it can be anything like boxes crates, etc. in this you have to maintain the output determination procedure, output type, plant determination, packaging material category, generate delivery items, number assignment. you can copy from standard also.

2. Then go to define material group for packaging materials - here you maintain the four digit code and the description. Actually, this group is nothing but similar products which require similar packing products. For Ex. Nokia Phones all types they are basically packed first into a polythene bag. So here nokia phones can become a material group for packaging materials and polythene bag can become the packaging material type which can include different sizes and types of polythene bags.

3. Define Allowed Packaging Materials - Here you assign the shipping group for packaging materials to the packaging material type. This is related to your mterial master data of the packaging material which you create.

4. Now go to MM01 to create a packaging material. use material type as Packaging material then inside the system will take the item category group as VERP. Then in the Basic Data1 screen you have the material group for packaging material (MGPM). Slect the proper one. Now in the Sales:General/ Plant screen you have to maintain data regarding the packaging. you select the MGPM same as the basic data 1 screen, then select the packaging material type, the allowed pkh weight, allowed pkg volume. This is important because if the weight of your finished item is 2 KG and in the allowed pkg weight you enter only 1.5 KG, then while you carry out the packing process in delivery, the system will give you error," packaging weight exceeded." The assignment in the IMG creen for Define allowed packaging materials should be same as u mention in the material master. Then save your material master for packaging material.

5. VA01 create the order, save it.

6. VL01N enter shipping point, go to edit - pack- you will face a screen with 2 parts. In the top part you select your packaging material in which you want to pack your finished item, enter the system will assign a number to that material. Now select the Material in the top part and the finished one in the lower part and click on the Icon Pack. Here one thing has to be taken care of. Suppose if you want to pack only one finished item in one packaging material, then in the lower part of the screen you have a field for partial quantity here you chnge it to 1. system will prompt quantity changed. now you select the material in the top part and the one in the lower part and click on the PER PART. QTY ICON. In this way the system will pack only one finished item in a single packaging material. Packing is done go back, select the picking and do the PGI. save the delivery and create the invoice.

HANDLING UNITS.

Basically handling units come into picture when you want to carry out multi level packing. suppose you want to pack Nokia phone first into a polythene bag, then this polythene bag is again packed in to box. like that. then this box will become a handling unit. For this go to :

IMG - Logistics General - Handling Unit Mangement - Basics.

1. In basics you do the same thing as you did in the packing in logistics execution. like you create the packaging material type, then MGPm and their assignment.

2. Then go to External Identification - and maintain the number ranges forthe handling units that you want and assign the same to your pckaging material type.

3. Now that you have done everything, create the order, save it, in VL01N, enter shipping point, go to edit - pack - do the same thing as i ahve told you in the step no. 6 (above). now after doing select the PACK HUs TAB . NOW IN THIS SCREEN IN THE TOP PART YOU WILL SEE THE ALREADY PACKED MATERIAL. In that same part again select your next packaging material that is BOX. enter the system will assign the number to the BOX.

4. Now select the material which you have just entered and the materials which were already packed in the lower part of the screen and click on the ICON PACK.

This is what I know about the packing process and the handling unit. you have many things in the handling unit management whichcan be very useful for automatic packing.

HOPE I AHVE ANSWERED YOUR QUERY.

PLEASE REWARD VALUABLE POINTS IF SOLUTION FOUND USEFUL.

Regards,

Allabaqsh Patil

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mr. Patil

Thank you very much for your reply. I have worked in the system, the way you have instructed me and found the function working very well. I am assigning you full marks for this.

However if you can tell me how to trigger automatic packing, it will be of much help to me. If needed i can create another qn for this. You can mail me on this at iimnava@yahoo.com if u want me to create another question!!!

Thank you very much for your answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Automatic Packing Process is done with the help of Packing Instructions

You should create Packing Instruction (POP1) as per your packing Requirement. i.e. Single level or Multilevel

For this Packing Instruction you should maintain the Pakcing Instuction Determination condition records (POF1) , which will be determined during the packing activity.

Do explore this option,a cutally its very simple to understand and do

Regards,

Rajesh Banka

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i am still working on it. when it works out for me i will explain it to you. thankyou for your valuable points.

Regards,

Allabaqsh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Please follow following steps

1. Introduction

Packing is part of delivery- and shipment processing. When you process a delivery, you can select delivery items for packing and assign them to Handling Units (HU’s).

2. Range of Functions

 As an example, you could pack delivery items in boxes, pack the boxes on pallets for delivery to the customer, and load the pallets onto a truck.

 The Packing component and related packing information enables you to:

 Update the stock situation of packing materials

 Monitor returnable packaging stocks at the customer's or forwarding agent's place of business

 Help you find you what was in a particular container (for example, if a customer maintains that they have received an incomplete delivery)

 Make sure that the weight and volume limits have been adhered to

 Ensure that products have been packed correctly

3. Configuration Settings:- Menu Path

3. 1.0 Define Number Ranges for Handling Units

When creating a handling unit, the system assigns a clear number internally. This number is from the number range interval, which you can can maintain in this menu option.

Standard settings

An internal assignment is carried out in the standard delivery for handling units, from the number range interval '01'. Maintenance of further intervals is not necessary, as the interval cannot be set.

3. 1.1 Packing Control By Item Category

In this menu option you control for each item category whether it can be packed or whether it requires packing. If an item category is characterized as requiring packing, the item must be packed in delivery, before goods issue. If it can be packed, you can pack it. You cannot pack items with an item category which cannot be packed.

For materials to be handled in batches, you control whether only items with batch available can be packed, or basically the cumulated main item quantity is packed.

3. 1.2 Define Packaging Material Types

The packaging material type combines packaging materials into groups and contains essential control features which apply to the corresponding shipping materials. When you specify a shipping material type in the material master record, each shipping material is assigned to a shipping material type.

Packaging Material Type => Plastic Mold

Returnable Packaging Material Type :

3. 1.3 Define Material Group for Packaging Materials

In this menu option, you define material groupings packaging materials, with which materials that are to be packed into similar packaging materials are grouped together. The material grouping for packaging materials is entered in the material master record of the shipping material.

ZPAC => FOR PACKAGING MATERIAL

ZPRE => FOR RETURNABLE PACKAGING MATERIAL

3. 1.4 Define Allowed Packaging Materials

When packing materials or handling units, the system checks whether the packaging materials for the handling unit, to which the items are to be packed, is allowed for packing.

By assigning packaging material types to the material groups for packaging materials, you define which packaging materials are allowed for packing.

By assigning shipping material types to material groups for shipping materials, you define which shipping materials are allowed for packing.

Please reward

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

The packing process is as follows:

Path: IMGlogistics executionshipping--packing

1) Define Number ranges for Handling Units

Here we define the number ranges for packing units.

2) Packing control by item categories:

Here we define if the items categories that we use can be packed or not.

3) Define requirements for Packing in the delivery

Here the requirement for packing is set. We can create our own requirement for example saying that the packing is not possible if credit block exists. Std setting is used in most cases.

4) Define packing materials

Here we define the packing materials that we use. Example you are using a wooden box, You must define it here with a code and description. You can give it as 0001(code) and wooden box(description). Thw material master for this material has to be created with the material type as VERP. In the Sales:geneal/plant view you have to put 0001(code for wooden box) in the packing mat type field.

5) Define material group for packing material

Here you define a material group for packing materials. example you deine a group 'pack'. Now put this group (pack) in the material masters in the sales:general/plant view in the mat grp pac matls field for all the materials that you want to pack.

6) Define Allowed Packaging Materials

Here we define all the materials that are allowed for packing along with the respective mat group. for the example we usedit should be only one line item saying that '0001' packing material is in 'pack' material group.

these were the steps that were followed in our project.

Hope it helps. Reward Points

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Vikrant,

I also have done these configurations. But I am unable to pack my material with a carton though the packaging material Carton is available and all these configurations are done. It is not generating the HU. What can be the problem.