cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service/Spare Parts Management question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone have any knowledge of this? You can handle service parts management with SAP SCM. Do you use all of the modules? Use DP to do the forecasting? Or is it something totally different?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

please check this link

it also gives you a good idea of the DP question you asked

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/espackages/servicePartsManagement&

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any idea if Spare Parts Management uses LiveCache during any of these steps?

Former Member
0 Kudos

David

there is very little that you can do in APO without the livecache. Maybe the DB part of it... the masterdata and the BW part of it. But i cant see any full scenario that will be planned.

Is there any reason for having APO without livecache?

Can you tell you what functionality you have in mind and we can tell if it will work or why it wont work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harish, I am part of a project that is trying to make the extraction of data out of LiveCache more efficient and less time consuming. A customer is interested in planning spare parts using the SPM module, so I was wondering if it did use LiveCache or not?

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Service Parts Planning module in SCM APO 5.0 onwards is the planning component of Spare Parts Management. It has modules like Forecasting / Demand Planning, Inventory Planning and Balancing, Distribution Requirements Planning, Deployement, Parts Monitoring and Analytics.

However unlike traditional APO modules, SPP has limited usage of liveCache (orderseries). Instead it uses a different Data Architecture called TDL (Transactional Data Layer) which primarily manages data in TSDM (Time Series Data Management) and ODM (Order Data Management). From an architecture standpoint its different from liveCache and in fact the user interfaces of SPP are also different.

Unfortunately this is the limit of my knowledge in terms of Data Management in SPP (be liveCache or TDL).

Thanks,

somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

if they are using APO <b>Planning</b> functionality in Parts Management then it

would surely be with Livecache.

for example, check if they want to do the following in APO

demand forecasting

supply network planning

procurement planning

safety stock planning

as far as i know, all of these need livecache for calculation

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Somnath

i believe TSDM is a new concept that is incorporated into SPP (and also in ICH and Demand Planning and F&R)

all these are applications where there is possibility of having volumes of time series data

TSDM is just a way of clustering the time series so that the time taken to access the data is less

If the grouping in clusters is done well, this results in smaller tables and improved performance.

SPP is different from regular APO planning because of the nature of the demand which is normally seasonal and intermittent and independent due to unscheduled maintainanace and also the kind of DRP needed and the kind of stock planning needed.

there are few additional (and/or different) functionalities in SPP and the way they are treated. I was under the impression it still uses LC for all planning

but again this is just my understanding

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Harish,

I agree with your views. Just now talked to a consultant who had worked in SPP application testing for a fairly long time.

SPP does use timeseries liveCache to store the active version of Statistical Forecasting results. But all other forecasting and demand planning data including simulation version results of Forecasting is stored in TSDM only.

Likewise in DRP and Deployment Order elements from APO and ERP are managed as Orderseries liveCache data but any transaction data created in SPP is stored in ODM. Moreover ICH managed transaction data is not stored in liveCache but in ODM as well.

One of primary difference in SPP as I saw was in Master Data. It uses Bill of Distribution (BOD) which is a like a BOM except that it lists which all child locations the product can be distributed to. The entire SPP solution is built around this Master Data. The other master data are location-product, transportation lanes, external procurement relationship, resources but NO PPM or PDS concept.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for that Somnath. that was quite informative

I also believe you need to activate TSDM in SPRO. Otherwise it will continue to use regular time series. Same with the ODM

(both are in the SPRO under SCM basis).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys, that is what I needed to know!

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, is it possible to access SPP data through DP/SNP planning books?

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No!

SPP is altogether a different module although it is placed under APO application component and has NO direct relationship (in terms of data) with APO DP/SNP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somanth/Any one,

Please help to understand the Service parts planning,we r tring to do poc for project

1)How the sales history flow from cube to Interactive forecasting screen(there is no Planning area to store data and no load planning area from cube,so please let me know how it will load data?

2)How the Final demand will flow to DRP for further planning?

3)Where data will strore ?

3)Can you please forward the process document to understand the flow as i am not able understand the help

Regards

kkk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

In SPP, Forecasting service reads the data directly from the BW multiproviders (9ARAWMUL, 9ADEMMUL), Data storage Object (9ADEMBOD), InfoCube (9ADEMANN) via Transaction data Layer. So no need to load the data from infocube.

Calcualted forecast values are saved in Livecache. When the forecast values are approved, inventory planning & Distribution Requirement planning applications are desigend to access the values from the Live cache.

Regards,

Shashikanth S

Answers (0)