Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security on Cost Center

former_member522740
Participant
0 Kudos

hi gurus

i have a situation in which i have like 60 plus users every one has authorization to different set of Cost centers. now how can i accopmlish that.

secondly suppose they run a report with a Cost Center Hierarchy with lots of cost centers at different levels, some they have access to some they dont, now what will happen ?

- will they be able to see only the cost centers in the hierarchy they have access too.

- or will they not be able to run the report at all because they dont have access to some of the cost centers.

- or they will be able to access soem nodes but no the ones that have atleast one CC that they are not authorized for.

by the way i am working on BI-7, the latest version of BW

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adnan,

the answers to your questions depend on the concrete report you are talking about and how detailed authority-checks have been implemented by the responsible developer.

You can do one of the following things to find out what is checked yourself:

1. codescan

2. debug the execution of the report having set a breakpoint on the command AUTHORITY-CHECK

3. do a system trace (transaction ST01) with trace component "Authorization Check" and run the report

Hope this helps to find out whether your authorization concept also works for this report.

Regards,

Claudia

0 Kudos

as of now there is no security setup on costcenter at all, i am exploring my options efore i design my reports. its a brand new system they dont have anything in production yet. could you suggest how to design security if you have 60+ users and i want to setup security on Cost Center field, and every user has a differetn set of cost centers they should have access to,

thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi Adnan,

well maybe I don't get your point but in general it's quite easy.

You just need an authorization object which contains at least one field for the costcenter. I don't know such a specific object, but I'm sure there exist some. Or you create a new object yourself.

At the beginning of the report I would do a DUMMY check for this authorization object and later (when the costcenter is selected) I would do the exact check.

If you only want to display the costcenters for wich the users are authorized, for sure you have to do the detailed check right at the beginning.

Whether all costcenters should be displayed or only the ones for which the user is authorized is a question where also usability experts are discordant.

Regards,

Claudia