Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brtools + RMAN versus RMAN only

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, ALL

I have read some white paper regarding brtools+RMAN versus RMAN,

it says: "'brtools+RMAN' is better than 'RMAN only' since brtools does not require recovery catalog",

From what I know of, RMAN has "nocatalog" option too, also, to have a catalog database seems safer than nocatalog,

So what is the advantage to use brtools+RMAN over RMAN only?

RMAN has command to control the backups, for example, delete certain backup, does brtools also have such function?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx all for help,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bei Xu,

Rman can give you many advantages:

- All blocks are checked for block corruption. So if you implement RMAN backup strategy, you don't have to schedule db verify/backup verify daily, the backup/archive can be guaranteed by RMAN as consistent;

- Rman can check in every blocks, it only backup the used blocks;However, blocks that are empty but have been used before, they will be backed up;

- RMAN can reduce large amount of redo log writing than traiditional backup mode. Because RMAN will not write whole dirty blocks into current redo log, but traiditional backup will.

Hope these info can make you clear on RMAN's adv.

Regards

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bei Xu.

Yes, you can use RMAN with the nocatalog option - no problem.

Basically the BRTOOLS just start programs like sqlplus or rman to do their tasks.

The real advantage is: the BRTOOLS know how it should work!

They know the correct syntax for all the different features, they come with menu-userinterface in two languages and they check for valid input parameters.

Complex DBA procedures like reorgansation or a efficient recovery of the database are covered by very simple menus and commands.

And the best thing is (at least for supporters): everything is logged.

Whenever anything goes wrong, it's at least possible to know what that was.

The BRTOOLS do certainly not cover all command of RMAN. On the other hand the BRTOOLS make it harder to make mistakes.

It is a bit like: "What's better: Windows Explorer or Command line?".

One of them is more powerfull the other one has a better security net, just in case.

I would propose: get used to the BRTOOLS. They work and makes a DBA life much simpler.

KR Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Lars:

Thanx for posting,it makes much sense to me now, May I ask u another rquestion? when brtools call RMAN on a full online backup, for example,

disk_copy_cmd=RMAN,

backup_mode=full or all

is it a one -to-one data file copy, or only back up the used blocks ?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bei Xi,

note <a href="http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/170013">Differences between BACKUP with 'ALL' and 'FULL'</a> answers this.

Both do copy all the files (not blockwise). Backupmode FULL just means that this backup will be noted as a LEVEL0 Backup for RMAN incremental Backups.

More information can be found here:

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmobile71/helpdata/en/0d/d2f6b74a0c11d182b80000e829fbfe/content.htm">SAP Database Guide: Oracle (BC-DB-ORA-DBA)</a>

Best regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bei Xu,

The advantage of using RMAN, either with brtools or standalone is its incremental backup feature which is very effective for VLDB. Choosing RMAN usage depends on the comfort level of the team implementing it and their expertise with brtools or RMAN standalone.

The advantage of using SAP provided tools is that there is additional level of testing done by SAP teams before the product is available for use and you have access to additional knowledgebase for it.

Cheers,

Nisch