cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The timeout of RFC/BPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have 2 scenarios

1. RFC1 -> XI -> MQ (AP1) -> XI -> RFC1 (synchronous/asynchronous bridge)

ps: AP1 gets the message from MQ and put the response into MQ

2. MQ -> XI -> RFC2 -> XI -> MQ (asynchronous/synchronous bridge)

But sometimes AP1 and RFC2 will timeout and I have to control it. I have 2 ideas:

1. Use deadline monitor of BPM, I found it in this document: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/ca/7c5c41fe06cf1ee10000000a155106/content.htm

2. Change the timeout of the SAP RFC, but I cannot find document for it.

Another question is, if I use BPM to set the timeout, could I change it in configuration?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dennys,

<i>if I use BPM to set the timeout, could I change it in configuration?</i>

It's not needed to change in config. But once it reached the deadline what you have to do, do you want to cancel the process?

Best regards,

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I want to cancel the process and reply a fail message to the sender.

About "could I change it in configuration", I know the timeout is in the design (Integration Builder), but I want to know could I let the duration to be a configurable variable in production.

The purpose is, maybe the normal timeout duration is 60 seconds, but the system performance will become slower sometimes, I hope I can tune it manually.

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dennys,

<i>Reply a fail message to the sender</i>, to whom you want to send the reply. RFC?? Can you explain this part.

Also the timeout duration is not 60 seconds, its upto you , in the block step right click and insert deadline branch, there you can see the properties how much time you can set.

I think its not possible to set the timeout duration as variable!!!.

Best regards,

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. RFC1 -> XI -> MQ (AP1) -> XI -> RFC1 (synchronous/asynchronous bridge)

2. MQ -> XI -> RFC2 -> XI -> MQ (asynchronous/synchronous bridge)

For scenario 1, XI sends a fail message to RFC1.

For scenario 2, XI sends a fail message to MQ.

Is it a good design to use BPM to control the timeout? I'm not familiar with ABAP, is it possible to control the timeout in ABAP (RFC) ?

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<i>1. Use deadline monitor of BPM, I found it in this document:</i>

An interesting discussion related to deadline branch

An example of deadline usage

/people/pooja.pandey/blog/2005/07/27/idocs-multiple-types-collection-in-bpm

<i>2. Change the timeout of the SAP RFC, but I cannot find document for it.</i>

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/06/08/xi-timeouts-timeouts-timeouts

<i>Another question is, if I use BPM to set the timeout, could I change it in configuration? </i>

I dont think so.

<i>Is it a good design to use BPM to control the timeout?</i>

Yes, it is while u use BPM.

<i>[Reward points if helpful]

</i>

Regards,

Prateek

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dennys,

Please clear my doubt, you want to send fail message to RFC and MQ, why you want send fail message to RFC & MQ, if you mail to the admin of the both the application will not be sufficient. Or is this is the Bus. reqmt ?

Best regards,

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raj:

Because the RFC & MQ is not a background job, users use the GUI to do something. If they can see a "this transaction is timeout ..." message on screen, I think it's better than show a system timeout message.

Another issue is, I found RFC has it's individual timeout mechanism. If the XI BPM duration is 60 seconds but the RFC timeout is 300 seconds, then users need to wait 300 seconds.

Prateek:

Thanks, I'm reading it. About the above RFC timeout, is it the 3rd document from your post ? /people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/06/08/xi-timeouts-timeouts-timeouts