cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSAPTEMP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have added Tempfile for PSAPTEMP, but at the OS level i still see that sapdata1 has 5GB free space, Before adding the temp file, it had 5GB of free space?wanted to figure out the Reason..is this an OS issue???

Regards,

Ershad Ahmed.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oracle does not allocate the space at the OS level until it needs the space.

I think they call the temp data files 'sparse' files?

So if you initially craete a temp table space with 5GB, you will not see the 5 GBs used at the OS level until Oracle needs the space.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi William, Eric and Radha..

Thanks you All for ur Response.

I found the Answer for PSAPTEMP....

When space is allocated to PSAPTEMP the filesystem does not automatically reduce by the size allocated..

Oracle creates files of temporary tablespaces as sparse files. Meaning Sparse is a special property a file in Unix OS can have. Sparse files are files that can dynamically grow & shrink depending on their content. So many sparse files can use a common pool of FREE DISK space. Problems can occur if sparsefiles grow and there is not sufficent FREE DISKSPACE to extend.

So what I am saying is.......... when extending a datafile for an Oracle database please look at the PSAPTEMP datafiles to see how much space has been allocated and what SAPDATA the file(s) are allocated from and LEAVE that space free on that DISK..

Example... In PSAPTEMP I have 1 datafile allocated with 1gb (actually a little over 1gb) anyway! on sapdata1..

ex: /oracle/PRD/sapdata1/temp_1/temp.data1 1 PSAPTEMP 1073741824

ok.. so I have another tablespace that needs to be resized or add another datafile.. What do I do.?? I thought you would never ask..

I make sure that when allocating or adding datafile that I leave at least 1gb free on SAPDATA1 disks so that if PSAPTEMP needs to extend it has the space available.......

Regards,

Ershad Ahmed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric and Radha,

Thanks for your Response, But my Question is still not answered, Im very sure about the Filesystem where i have added the Temp file and thats Sapdata1,No doubts about it, I have Read it some where that it will not show up the Allocated Space at the OS level Immediately for PSAPTEMP, and im searching for the Answer..

Regards,

Ershad Ahmed.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

try this:

sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

select filename where tablespace_name='PSAPTEMP';

exit

now, make sure thatall files found in previous sql request exists and check their sizes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not OS problem. It looks you create Tempfile for PSAPTEMP with size.

Regards

Ben

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. you might have added a datafile on another disk.

2. you might have created your datafile with a small size and have set autoextend