cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeing Up Disk Space after client delete

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys

I have two systems(2 instances i,e ept and epd) on one as400. On each instance i have two clients i.e 900 and 110. I need to delete clients 900 (to free up disk space) on each instance which i have done on instance epd.

When going into the as400 os.The disk space is still the same,When doing a rgzpfm on a specific file or table, , i can see that this frees up some space. Is there any other way i can do this for the entire library i.e r3epddata.I have done some research amnd found that there is a command

STRDSKRGZ

Can I use this comand and can I do this online or is there any other way i can do this

Would appreciate some help

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We Ran a Reorg on the As400 and this sorte dout the disk space

0 Kudos

Forgot to add that STRDSKRGZ is more like disk fragmentation on a PC. When you delete a client in SAP, the table space occupied by those rows is known as "free" only to the database, the storage management component considers it still "occupied". RGZPFM is the only way to free up the space, STRDSKRGZ will not change anything in your case.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Running STRDSKRGZ after RGZPFM can be useful in the case when you are running low on free usable disk space because it helps next disk allocation for data write larger in chunks. This command can run on-line. It adds some disk IOs while running but it would be best to schedule it to run in the period of lowest workload (right after RGZPFM would be ideal).

Satid S.

IBM Thailand

0 Kudos

SAP Note 84081 contains a small CL program that can be used to automate RGZPFM for all tables in a library.

As of V5R3, RGZPFM can be used in online mode (parameters KEYFILE(RPLDLTRCD) ALWCANCEL(YES) ). Initially we noticed some problems with that when reorganizing tables containing LOB columns. These problems may have been fixed in the meantime (even though I could not tell you what PTF's are definitely fixing them), but there are still limitations to the online reorganization, so that you may not free up the same amount of storage as if you used offline reorganization.

So if you have a chance to run the offline reorganization over the weekend, that would be my preferred method.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.