Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between role and profile

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to know the difference between role and profile. Kindly let me also know

relevant T codes. Can Profiles exist without roles? If yes please let me know how to create them.

Thanks in Advance,

Kalyan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member

Hello Kalyan,

ROLE: role is a job description.this which are used to tells which job a user should perform.

PROFILE: profiles are used to give permissions to perform system functions....

ok u can creat a role using PFCG. and u can create a profile using SU02.

when u create a role u have to generate profile for that role in AUTHORISATION TAB of PFCG. with out profile a role cant work...

role may contain one or more than one profile... but defiantely roles contain one profile...

hope it may helps you if u r satisfied with the above answer please award points for me...

cheers........

srinivas.

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kalyan,

A role is basically a container of authorizations and other related items.

A profile contains the actual authorizations once a role is generated. In addition a profile can be created from scratch using the classical method--transaction SU02. Roles are created via transaction PFCG.

Also take a look at the following threads:

Cheers,

Ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyan,

check the below link for more info...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/52/671285439b11d1896f0000e8322d00/content.htm

Also for your question.... the answer is Yesand also No..... After 4.6 version i think.... previously until 4.0B version there used to be only Profiles and no concept of roles... later to that after the advent of roles, there can be no profiles without roles...

The only exception being the SAP STANDARD PROFILES like SAP_ALL and many other available in profiles tab.

check the below link which explains create/maintain Authorizations and profiles concept as well.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/52/671595439b11d1896f0000e8322d00/content.htm

Hope it helps.

Br,

Sri

Award points for helpful answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyan,

A role act as container that collect transaction and generates the associated profile. Whereas a profile is a collection of generated Authorization objects.

"Can Profiles exist without roles?"...Yes, Ex: SAP_ALL, SAP_NEW, etc...

You can use transaction SU02 o create profiles.

Hope it helps.

Please award points if it is useful.

Thans & Regards,

Santosh

Former Member

Hello Kalyan,

ROLE: role is a job description.this which are used to tells which job a user should perform.

PROFILE: profiles are used to give permissions to perform system functions....

ok u can creat a role using PFCG. and u can create a profile using SU02.

when u create a role u have to generate profile for that role in AUTHORISATION TAB of PFCG. with out profile a role cant work...

role may contain one or more than one profile... but defiantely roles contain one profile...

hope it may helps you if u r satisfied with the above answer please award points for me...

cheers........

srinivas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very useful links provided