cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cache data in Mobile Application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am in process of evaluating usage of Mobile for Field Sales Representative but I am encountering a problem that the coverage is not so good in the area where field users will be using the system so what I need to do is to cache data and whenever it gets signal it transmits it. Is it possible to do programmatically or is there any other way we can achieve it.

Regards

Hardik Mehta

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hardik,

According to my knowledge the simplest answer to your query is a Smart Sync Application.

Such type applications are designed for this purpose only. That is in the offline environment/the environment which is not always connected.

A smart sync application enbles you to occasionally sync and save backend data on to your client(data relevant to your application). Once you have done this you can remain disconnected and use this data in all possible ways you need to like viewing it time and again, making changes tot it or even deleting some of the records. You may even create new records/data.

The Smart sync application will store all these changes onto the local database of the device. The next time the user syncs the device, the device communicates all these changes to the backend via the middleware and whereby updates the backend database.

Also if there are some changes made in the backend data while the user is disconnected the MI client will download those changes and reflect them onto its local database so even your local database remains up to date.

So if you want you can call this as chaching the data and transmitting it to the backend whenever you get connectivity. Technically it is done through the Java persistence apis.

I hope this has solved your query to a certain extent. If this is not what you meant/desired kindly revert back.

Cheers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for answering my questions.

Have you implemented this solution in your organization? If yes, can you please send me architecture which allows this communication?

Thank You.

Regards

Hardik Mehta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hardik,

The one option is if you want the updated data on to the client

you can define certain parameters in mobileengine.config file of the MI Client like you can define the time interval say 1 hr when the device should sync in the background.So the device will sync after every one hour in the background and you will have the updated data on to your client.

Please find the link for parameter that needs to be defined for Time Controlled synchronization.

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/43/5d298f28616e47e10000000a422035/content.htm">Link</a>

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Regards

Devendra

Message was edited by:

Devendrakumar Phate

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hardik,

Mobile is catering for this kind of scenarios with offline applications, otherwise called 'occasionally connected'. Mobile Asset Management is one example of such application.

The way it works: technician synchronises his device in the morning, all data required for his work is stored on his device in a local database. At the end of the day he synchronises again to upload all his changes. Sync can be done, of course, depending on business process, once a week, every time there is a connection, etc.

I am not too familiar with Mobile Sales application. It has 'on-line' in the title though, so it probably does not work the same way. You customer may consider building their own application on the 'off-line" technology.

Cheers,

Larissa Limarova