cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended latest kernel patch level for R/3 4.6C on UNIX at HP-UX 64

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Can you help me what is the recommended and latest patch kernel level for an SAP R/3 4.6C system on UNIX? Our current patch level is 1774. Also, can you give me detailed steps on how to update R3trans and tp for Kernel based on UNIX? Please help.

Thanks a lot..

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Regarding updating the kernel, I just want to clarify that if I update the kernel stack which according to note 19466 is made up of two archives database independent SAPEXE and database dependent SAPEXEDB, <b>does it also mean that R3trans and tp is also updated at one blow of the kernel stack update or shall I need to update R3trans and tp individually along with the kernel stack</b>. Because I have also read and noted that it is always essential to have the latest R3trans and tp. So to say, does updating the kernel stack involves a complete update of the kernel patch itself along with the components?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

R3trans and tp are part of the kernel - if you update the kernel using the SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB archives, R3trans and tp are also updated.

Make sure to set the permissions on the updated files (saposcol and br* do have some special permissions), e.g. by running "saproot.sh <SID>" as root after updating the kernel.

Best regards,

Elmar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks ANdreas,

About the recommended kernel patch level, what do you think? Also, I need a documented Kernel upgrade because we are doing a Support Package upgrade for SAP R/3 4.6C system. As a prerequisite, we must upgrade our kernel before applying a support package upgrade for a UNIX OS. Do you know of any site where I can get them or maybe you can help me with the procedure itself?

Please note this information:

Kernel level of production system (all servers) is 46D, 64-bit, patch number 1774.

God bless..

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check SAP note 19466 which will describe what you need, where to get it and how to install.

--

Markus

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

a) you should think about switching to <b>46D_EXT kernel </b>as this one will be supported until end of 2009 (46D will be de-supported february 1st, 2008)

b) the latest patch level for disp+work is 2.326 (may 28th, 2007)

c) the only way to get the executables is from sapnet...alias PATCHES..go for ENTRY BY APP -> ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, for now I dont know our architecture. I still need to find out but I have another added information that out <b>Platform ID is 273</b>. Can you help me with the detailed procedures for a kernel upgrade and the latest patch level for our system. Also please help me the step by step procedure to update R3trans and tp so that I can follow them and implement in our system.

Thank you.

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

-> just unpack/uncar tp and r3trans - which you downloaded from sapnet to any temporary directory on the sap server - and copy both files to /sapmnt/<SID>/exe overwriting the existing ones...

-> be sure to check which architecture you're running...otherwise both executables might not run on your machine...

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I just want to clarify if the patch level 2326 is applicable to Kernel 4.6D under UNIX 64 bit platform using HP-UX. Alsp, can you provide us detailed procedures on how to update and extract R3trans and tp when using UNIX Operating system and where I can find the latest version of it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Alsp, can you

> provide us detailed procedures on how to update and

> extract R3trans and tp when using UNIX Operating

> system and where I can find the latest version of it.

Go to service.sap.com/swdc, choose "Download" -> "Support Packages and Patches".

Navigate to your platform / release.

The patches are packed with SAPCAR, use "SAPCAR -xvf <archive.car>" to extract.

Best regards,

Elmar.

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

-> which architecture are you on? <b>pa-risc or ia64</b>?

-> are you sure about 46D? not <b>46D_EXT</b>?

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi jennah

You need to copy the latest R3trans and tp files and overwrite it on the Unix box.You need to take a back up before copying.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the latest kernel patch for 4.6D in SAP SMP I found was 2326.

If you want to upgrade R3trans or tp, just copy the patches over the existing files. Keep a copy of the original and make sure to keep user and execution rights of the files.

Best regards,

Elmar.