cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions about printing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody, I've a few questions about printing in mdm 5.5 sp4:

1) is it possible to print items details even without creating a family?

2) is it possible to print fields from tables other than "products"?

3) every printed field has to be a lookup field?

thank you very much for your kindness

Alessio

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alessio,

1) You need to create families in order to print publish out of MDM into InDesign (or Quark). Your only other option would be to export out (Excel, Access, Text) the data you require to print and manually put it together.

2) What's an example of other fields you wish to publish that are not in the Products table?

3) Every printed field does not have to be a lookup field. You can print any field from the Products table.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim, thank you for your answer.

I haven't been clear in point 2, sorry: I'd like to know if it's possible to print - for example - fields from manufacturer table such as name, description, image etc. even if they don't belong to products table.. I can't find a way.

thank you,

alessio

Former Member
0 Kudos

to be more specific: I need to print some fields from a flat table that has a field with the same key present in the products table. how can I do? Maybe setting up a relationship would help?

And - in general - how can I print data coming from tables different from products table?

thank you very much,

alessio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alessio,

Go into the Console, select the desired repository, click on the Families table in the top right window. The bottm option will be "Alternative Display Fields." Click the browse button on the right. In the window that pops up right-click and select Add Field. Give it a name in the Name field (probably just the same name as the field itself, or something more descriptive). Click in the Path field and a drop down list will be available to select fields from other tables that you would like to use.

This should do what you're looking for.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim, unfortunately I'm not able to select fields from other flat tables, just from "Products", "Categories" and the hierarchy tables whose products table fields are lookup fields.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure what is going on for you. Using the steps outlined in my last post I am able to select additional fields from a Lookup [Flat] table.

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes Tim, you're right - following the stes you described allows me to select additional field from a lookup table, but it is necessary to have some lookup fields inside the products table. What if I want to print the data from a lookup flat table (ex: manufacturers) and in products table I don't set any lookup filed to manufacturers? is it still possible to print the data?

thank you very much,

alessio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alessio,

I don't believe what you are trying to do is currently possible. The orgin of the publishing stems from the family tree (typically the category taxonomy for products). In order to get items to publish there needs to be some link back to the Products table. If there is no link back to the products table then the software has no way to relate the data you wish to publish back to the individual products. I would think that if you have a Manufacturers table then you would want to create a field in the products table to assign these manufacturers to the individual products.

Thanks,

Tim

Answers (0)