cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM types that could be used for PPm typeD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In case if I want to transfer the BOM from ECC to APO and create a PPM with type D, what kind of BOMs can be used for generating a PPM with type D that is actually used for DP-BOM? Is it just simple BOM or can I also use variant and multiple BOMs?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A single level BOM is recommended by SAP for DP BOMs.

Hierarchy of BOMS in DP are irrelevant

If you are transferring a multi level bom it might loose the linkage anyhow

You also should not have Components that are not planned in DP in the DP BOM

I think, When creating the POS for DP BOM you assign the version of PPM that will be used

So are you converting the PPDS BOM and are you transferring the PPMs exclusively for DP BOM use only?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Harish,

I am using the BOM only for DP. I may use SNP as well lateron. But I am sorry for the mistake in the question. We generate DP-BOM PPMs only in APO and donot tranfer them right?

Also as I understand single level BOM, does the word "single level" refer to one unit throughout the BOM or only one hierarchy level of BOM? Here is the <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/ea/e9afeb4c7211d189520000e829fbbd/frameset.htm">link</a>. But I am confused about that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

no worries

Take a look at this document

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm50/helpdata/en/da/6c723b9a4b2600e10000000a114084/content.htm

If its just creating DP BOM in APO and you are creating a BOM in R3 just for that you might be betteer off using LSMW or any other uploading process to load the tables that are relevant to DP PPMS. You should be able to locate most of them in MASSD for PPMS. The identifier D should make it a DP BOM.

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Visu,

I guess Harish's link explains your query. Single level BOM with respect to DP-BOM essentially means the BOM can have one hierarchy i.e. the single output product is linked to multiple input products but those input products do not have next level of input components in the same BOM.

Also please note you are not going to list all the input products (from your ERP system) in a DP-BOM. From a business rationale you are going to link only those products which are component to the output product as well as they are sold (hence separate independet demand) on their own.

My favourite example: Music System in the output product

Input Products >> 4 speakers, 1 cassette deck with amplifier

Note you are not going to list the cables, tuner and possibly other items that go into the music system. This is because only the speaker and cassette deck with amplifier are being sold as separate products themselves.

Hope this explains better the linkage between system and practical requirement.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish/Somnath,

Thanks a lot. That answers most of my questions. Just one more question:

If we are not planning all the input products of a finished product, then that could lead to problems. Isn't that? How do we plan the rest?

As per your music system example,

"Music System in the output product

Input Products >> 4 speakers, 1 cassette deck with amplifier

Note you are not going to list the cables, tuner and possibly other items that go into the music system."

Here is how I do the planning:

1. Create a DP-BOM with speakers(4) and cassette deck with amplifier (1)

2. Create a data view with two tables. The top table would be for planning the Music system and the bottom table for the dependent components, speakers and cassette deck with amplifier. When the Music system forecast is done, the system automatically forecasts the dependent components forecast in the bottom table.

3. I have to plan the independent quantities separately in another data view? How do I combine both these quantities for the same product?

I have other questions related. I will start a new thread.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

visu

its not necessary you plan ALL input products. Products planned in APO are usually critical and planning relevant or products with a long leadtime or where safety stock is to be held for example.

Planning everything might lead to peerformance issues

you can use other planning methods to plan for these items. R3 MRP for example. or even a simple excel sheet

take the case of screws for example - i wouldnt plan that in APO but rather use a reorder or Kanban type of mechanism to make sure i hav enough to not stop production

so i would probably plan for the speakers, deck and amplifier and also the tuner but not the cables and screws. i would plan for a critical transistor but not for the generic ones

for the point 3 - since it is "independent"- i would say it is forecast without any dependency on the music system. If you use the same forecasting logic you use for your music system, you should be able to arrive at the same pattern.

you can improvise on this and have some checks that combines the musci system and the cables and visually monitor the forecasting patterns follow the same curves.

is this what you are looking for.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Very good explanation. I now understand. So, as I have another key figure that I have to forecast just like my finished good and as it's another key figure, I can just forecast for that keyfigure and add up the independent and dependant demands.

I'm now clear.

Answers (0)