Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is parameter ID ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Friends please let me know what is the use of parameters ID in the user creation (SU01) t-code under parameter tab ?

There are 2 users. A with 3 roles and B with 5 roles. We need to assign all the 3 roles of A to B in addtion to her existing roles. Role assignments are done through pfcg - everything is ok. Now the first user A is having 4 parameter id's so my question is that what is the significance of this id's ? If the second user (B) is not having these parameter id's what will be the effect on the authorizations of the new user id ? How to assign this parameter id's once a user id is created ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member74904
Contributor
0 Kudos

it really only depends on which parameters we're talking about to determine the effect on a user.

as Gökhan has described above with his example of KUNNR the effect is obvious, but please check table TPARA for a full list of parameters.

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Parameters are maintained in the "Parameters" tab of transaction SU01.

Regards,

Gökhan

0 Kudos

Hi Gokhan,

I know that..

Have u understood the question ??

0 Kudos

Hi,

Parameters has nothing to do with the authorization.

They are used to ease the daily life of a user.

For example if the user is responsible with one customer, s/he adds kunnr parameter here, to have this customer id filled when s/he calls the related transaction.

Is this what you're asking. If not, can you please expand the question?

Regards,

Gökhan

former_member74904
Contributor
0 Kudos

it really only depends on which parameters we're talking about to determine the effect on a user.

as Gökhan has described above with his example of KUNNR the effect is obvious, but please check table TPARA for a full list of parameters.

0 Kudos

In general Gökhan's statement is true:

Parameter IDs (aka "user parameters") have nothing to do with authorizations; usually a user can even change the assigned parameters (respectively their values) using transaction SU3.

Parameter IDs are usually only used to memorize certain user-specific settings, e.g. whether you prefer the classic or the new ABAP editor / debugger, or some application-specific default values (e.g. the "customer number", KUNNR) which are used to fill-in corresponding entry fields (on selection screens / dynpros) automatically.

Please refrain from using Parameter IDs for any access control purposes.

Regards, Wolfgang

0 Kudos

Thanks Gokhan,Dimtri & particulary Wolfgang for the excellent explanation.

I just have a small question on this i.e. :-

As I am referencing the other user ID while creating this user (both user having same roles) so if the previous user is having few parameter ID's like :-

Parameter ID Parameter Value (sample)

GLMASTER_CONTROL X

WLC XX XX0 0

So if I don't maintain these paramerter id's for the new user then new user's "certain user-specific settings or application-specific default values" won't be memorized by the system. Apart from that she shouldn't face any issues in her functional role ? Is it right ? Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

So is it a good practice to manually assign parameter id's to the newly created users ?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos

> Apart from that she shouldn't face any issues in her functional role ? Is it right ?

Right - it is not mandatory to have any user parameters assigned. Then, some default settings apply.

> So is it a good practice to manually assign parameter id's to the newly created users ?

Depends: if you want to clone an account then you should copy all attributes (including the user parameters); but normally you do not intend to copy all user-specific settings. That's at least what I would assume - but I live in the "ivory tower" and cannot comment on "best practices".

Cheers, Wolfgang