cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is EDI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could some body explain me clearly, what is EDI and what are all we can achieve using EDI.

EDI stands for Electronic data interchange...if so this EDI can act as XI.

Also explain me what is the main difference between EDI and EAI tools.(XI).

I would appreciate if some one give clear definitions and examples rather than posting the weblogs.first give preference to your self definitions and next you prefer weblogs.

Thanks in advance...

Sekhar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

<i>Could some body explain me clearly, what is EDI and what are all we can achieve using EDI</i>

EDI is a standard that certain organizations uses for interchange of their data in Electronic format. The standard explains the format of data to be stored before sending it to other systems.

<i>EDI stands for Electronic data interchange...if so this EDI can act as XI.</i>

No.

<i>Also explain me what is the main difference between EDI and EAI tools.(XI).</i>

EDI is just a specification of data storage format. It could not perform the actual system integration as XI does. for transfer of EDI from one system to another EDI subsystems are used.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

Thanks for giving me the answer.

Let me have understand clearly..below.

<b> EDI is just a specification of data storage format.</b>

What do you mean by storage format....the name itself it saying as Data interchange...It means some data we are able to send one system to another system..

I need the more clarfication I mean the difference...!

Thanks in advance.

Sekhar

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Have a understanding of this difference that was obtained from IT tool box

<i><i>EAI: Enterprise Application Integration.. describes projects which involve

bridging traditional stove-pipe applications

and building a composite system out of them. Over 90% of all software

houses today claim they are in the EAI space.

ETL: Extraction, Transformation and Loading.. an acronym used to describe a

set of tools for moving data between various

database systems. In order to move the data, it must be extracted,

often transformed and then loaded into a

target. Data Junction, Carleton, Intellidex are some early players in

this space.

EDI: Electronic Data Interchange is a specification for exchanging

electronic data documents based on EDIFECS. This

is basically a way of exchanging orders, receipts and confirmations of

orders, used in everything from retail

to government procurement installations. It is a fairly old

specification and has a pretty large base of users

(who are constantly attempting to migrate off the standard)

I would liken the relationship of the above to baskets, agents and receipts.

Any real relationship between the 3 is

pureley circumstantial. For instance an agent may use a basket to move

goods and would require a receipt for his work.

In our case, for instance, an ETL tool may be used move data between Siebel

and Oracle Apps.. and upon completion of

a data move, we may want to generate an EDI receipt for every new Oracle

Apps entity. Some people will call this EAI.</i></i>

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

Suppose there r 2 organizations A & B. And there is a group of organizations G. Now all the organizations in G has decided that they will be exchanging the data amongst them using EDI format. So whatever data the organizations have, is converted into EDI format based on certain rules like SEF (Standard Exchange Format). Now if A wants to communiate with B, they can communicate directly using data in EDI format.

Suppose A wants to communicate with C which is not a part of G, then EDI subsystems are used. XI could replace EDI subsystems using some Adapters such as Seeburger EDI Adapter or through developing ur own module for reading EDI. But XI shouldnt be compared with EDI directly.

<i>[Reward if useful]</i>

Regards,

Prateek

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Chandu

In simple words, I can explain the EDI as a format that is agreed upon by the business partners for exchange of business data between them. Similar to IDoc, the EDI format also contains the segments and fields with some sensible meanings of these feilds. The format is reached upon by the business partners for communication and they are using EAI tools for the same.

EAI is Enterprise Application Integration tool used for integration of data across business scenarios/applications.

In a line, I can tell you that we are using EAI tool ( XI) for data exchange between R/3 system ( IDoc format ) and business partner system ( EDI Format). The above statement is not concrete rather can be treated as an example for better understanding.

Regards

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

EAI - Enterperise Application Integration

EAI- tools--mercator..tibico..XI...

EDI -Electronic Data Interchange and Application Link Enabling (ALE) are used to exchange business data between systems.

Regards

krishna

former_member184619
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi chandu

Check these link

/people/srinivas.vanamala2/blog/2006/12/11/edi-basics

http://www.erpgenie.com/sapedi/index.htm

http://www.erpgenie.com/faq/edi.htm

Regards

Sachin

Message was edited by:

Sachin Dhingra

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI

EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) is the electronic exchange of business documents* between the computer systems of business partners, with a standard format over a communication network. It can also be called as paperless exchange.

good blog which answers ur questions

/people/srinivas.vanamala2/blog/2006/12/11/edi-basics

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/135b0b94-0701-0010-f6a9-86a...

EAI

Enterprise application integration, the integration of data between applications

XI is an EAI toold. the use could be to integrate application / business across different landscapes.

EAI tools available in the market include XI , TIBCO, SeeBeyond, etc.