cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archivelog

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi gurus,

I installed mySAP ERP 2005 to one of my client with Linux/MaxDB platform. I was on the packages update when the system hangs. I found out that the mount point for the database logs has only 91% remaining. Because i am new with MaxDB, could you give me instructions how to archive those logs created by my MaxDB Database? I also tried to stopsap but it hangs, also stopdb but message "there are still active users connected to the database. In order to shutdown the databse with stopdb, you first have to stop all database applications. This includes MCOD instances and database utilities". How could i stopsap my system?

pls. help

regards,

Jay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

Download the DBMGUI from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/maxdb/7.6.00.html and then try connect to the database. The DBMGUI is very easy to use for doing backups and has a wizard to help you with the process. It only runs on Windows unfortunately but in my opinion it is a must have.

To shutdown SAP make sure nobody is connected to the instance(use transaction al08 to check globally and sm04 to check on current instance), then shutdown any application servers first. You should then just be able to do a 'stopsap r3' which will only shutdown the instance and not the database. Once you are sure nobody is connected and instance is shutdown you can connect via dbmcli -d <SID> -u user,password to MAXDB and run 'db_state' to check current status and then 'db_offline' to shutdown the database if needed. I would first try to use the DBMGUI as mentioned above to backup your logs.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Nelis,

Thanks for quick response. Can i install DBMGUI on my desktop and connect to the database?

Actually we are on the process of post installation, therefore the only user connected was me. my problem is, the system hangs and when i tried to run "stopsap" the process never continues, it only hangs up. i tried to "stopDB" but the message: "there are still active users connected to the database. In order to shutdown the databse with stopdb, you first have to stop all database applications. This includes MCOD instances and database utilities".

I tried to use dbmcli but my password for sdb user is incorrect, but when i check the logs for startsap, theres no problem with the user. how can i resolve the sdb user ?

my main concern now is how to start and stop SAP without encountering hanging of system. I would worry for the logfile space later because for now i cannot connect to SAP system.

Pls. help.

Regards,

jay

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

yes, you can install DBMGUI on your desktop and connect to any MaxDB instance running in your system landscape (this instance can run either on Windows or on UNIX/Linux).

That your system is hanging sounds like a 'log full' situation. To resolve this, you should create a log backup.

Information about 'log full' can also be found in our Wiki:

https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/x/Liw

However, we do know a problem with the stopsap script, when the database analyzer is active. Please check note 1026297 for this. As a quick workaround you can stop the database analyzer manually:

dbmcli -d <SID> -u <control user>,<password> dban_stop

To connect to dbmcli you use the control user - the default is control.

User sdb is an inactive user - you cannot logon with this user to the OS. Try to use

user <sid>adm instead.

HTH,

Melanie Handreck

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie,

I already installed the DBMGUI but it needs dtabase manager operator. what should i use? i i used user sdb but i cant connect i also used <SID>adm, same result.

Regards,

Jay

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

try control with password control.

The DBMGUI needs a database user - not an OS user.

More on this can be found in the MaxDB Wiki, page User Concept:

https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/x/UC8

Best regards,

Melanie

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Melanie,

Thanks for the URL. I tried user control and password control but no avail. On your wiki, you stated that the database users are created upon installation. Yes it is created during installation. And it also prompted to supply password for the 3 database users right? in our case, we haven't supplied any password because we assumed that master password at the beginning of the installation stands for all the user that will be created succeeding the installation. In our case, how could we resolve the db user issue. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

jay

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

in your case the user should be control and the password the master password entered during the installation. Does this work?

Regards,

Melanie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie,

I tried to use user control and the password is the master password but it didn't work as well. Are there any ways to find out or to resolve the issue regarding the database user?

Regards,

Jay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie,

Ignore my first message, I was able to log in using control user and master password. Can I use NFS for run directory? or perhaps tape drive?

Regards,

Jay

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

it is not possible to use a tape drive for the run directory. Why would you want to do this?

NFS should work. But there is a known problem with the dbmserver - see note 1041650.

Regards,

Melanie

Former Member
0 Kudos

anyway, I already archive my logs. Thanks for the information u gave.

Regards,

jay

Answers (0)