cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup restore frpm Prod to QA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Iam new to SQL , we have SAP ECC6.0 running on MS SQL 2005 . We need to do client refresh from Production to QA .

Can you please suggest how we can refresh from prod to QA.

We dont want to do client export /import.

- Kristene

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Depends on the reason for the client copy and how often.

If its soley for the data then i would use SAPs client copy with the appropriate profile as stated by Eric.

Copying the production DB has its own complications like loss of transport history, loads of users in the system you may not want/need, you have to reset up the transport and reporting systems, you have to sort out the RFC for external program and solman etc, setup you jobs/cancel unwanted jobs.

However it will and does work.

A little tip would be to install the QAS license into the PRD system so when you attach it to QAS hardware it will 'just work'. (like you do with a failover/standby server).

The 'correct' way (i use the term loosely) is client copy - hence why the tool exists to start with.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Depends on the reason for the client copy and how

> often.

[...]

> The 'correct' way (i use the term loosely) is client

> copy - hence why the tool exists to start with.

Yes - I agree to some extend.

Our client/system is > 1 TB and an RFC client copy (or an import) takes days, production can't be taken offline that long, if you go on running the production you will have more inconsistencies than you can deal with. That's why we use the full system copy.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Always options and opinions. Without knowing the full story its very hard for us to assess the 'best' way as we are not party to a lot of facts.

Hopefully the suggestions we make are good enough for an informed judgment to be made and maybe a test run performed based on the most suitable.

SAP also have a tool for this purpose (extraction of data from a production system for use in test systems). Its part of the SLO (System landscape Optimizer) Tool set and is called TDMS (test data migration server). This allows unlimited refreshes and not only that, you can take subset of the data from the production server i.e. you might only need/want 50GB of the 1TB DB you have for testing and the rest is just eating disk.

Use/access to these tools may well depend on your customer agreement.

service.sap.com/slo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Clas ,

Thanks for your help.in that note SAP suggested two ways to perform post activities.

1. Execute STM tool

2. Manual parocess

Since we are running NW2004s (ABAP+JAVA) stack SQL2005 which method is suggestable so that we will not have any issues.

- Kristene

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In this case you need to use the standard tools (sapinst) and export the database and re-import it on the target server.

for documentation see

http://service.sap.com/systemcopy

--> Media Library

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clas ,

Thankis for your reply.I have one more issue

After refresh database from production to QA, do i need to reapply license for QA system?

What are thye post activities ?

- Kristene

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes, you have to install a new license as the hardware key changed.

The post activities are described in note 151603 in section 8, and can be done by the STM tools mentioned in this section.

Best regards

Clas

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

for client refresh, there are tons of documentation on the internet for that.

you have 2 ways for that:

remote client copy (SCC9)

or

export/import (SCC8 and STMS-import)

if planning to copy the whole system, refer to previous post from Clas Hortien .

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

you can use the description from note 151603 to do a database copy to the QAS system. Run the STM tools later, as described in section 8 of the note. These tool will do all the necessary 'after attach' work.

Best regards

Clas