cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the use of S/MIME in mail adapter?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

anyone have a document for this or a scenario which can help to understand it properly.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

An Xi mesage Is sent as a multipart MIME document.It is an internet standard that allows digital content to be sent as text over the internet

The aim to perform S/MIME, Signed Data and Enveloped Data is to ensure that the Message (Data) is not changed and / or transferred confidential

refer this thread

/people/rahul.nawale2/blog/2006/07/22/smime-security-for-the-mail-adapter-within-xi

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Anusha,

<i>digital content to be sent as text over the internet</i>

can u please explain it little bit. why do we need this . i have read document in help.sap.com where i found

If an e-mail server is communicating with the mail adapter, you can configure security settings to encrypt/decrypt and sign/verify messages. Here, message security is based on the S/MIME internet standard (Secure Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension). For this purpose, set the indicator S/MIME in the sender and receiver adapter.

can u please explain this part

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashwin ,

check the following link to know all about MIME

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME

regards

krishna

manuel_bassani
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

i'll try to explain you the philosophy behind S/MIME...

Think about a scenario in which you send or receive mail attachments.

If those attachments contain Business data, you probably would to provide

- privacy with encryption of data sent/received

- authentication of the sender

- check integrity

S/MIME is based on asymmetric key algorithm.

You define a public and private key in Visual Administrator (Key Storage).

A document encrypted with a public key can only be decrypted with the private key.

In example: a sender uses your public key to encrypt an attachment. When you receive the mail, you use your private key to decrypt the message (nobody else can decrypt the message without the right private key).

Another example: A sender encrypt a message using HIS private key. When you receive the message,you decrypt with HIS public key. In this way you have authentication of the origin of the message.

You define key pairs in Visual Admin-Key storage. See weblog <a href="/people/rahul.nawale2/blog/2006/07/22/smime-security-for-the-mail-adapter-within-xi Security for the MAIL-Adapter within XI</a>.

See help <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/27/c0524257a1b56be10000000a155106/frameset.htm">Security Settings for the Sender Mail Adapter</a> to understand how to configure S/MIME in sender mail adapter.

I help this will help you.

Best regards,

Manuel

Answers (0)