cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI Server Proxy Or Enterprise Service

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to call a BAPI in R/3 using XI. Possible Approaches:

1) Using RFC Adapter : Performance Inferior (I do not want to discuss this)

2) Using Server Proxy and calling the BAPI inside the method.

3) Exposing the BAPI as ES and consuming that using XI.

Now when we compare the approaches 2 & 3,

what are the basic differences in terms of security and performance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

- Server proxy is a better method. Coz if RFC adapter is performance inferrior this is the only option, and server proxy will handle the security also.

- If you use an ES, Even then you will be using an RFC adapter for exposing it. So I think direct one shot method is the Server Proxy.

- But using an ES will make it ESA enabled which will give more value to the client. But security has to be managed by you.

- Basically you have to find a balance between two..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebin,

I guess you are getting confused.

I am exposing an RFC enabled function module as a web service in R/3. And to consume a web service I need a SOAP Adapter not RFC adapter.

So in both the cases, I mean server proxy and web service we are using xml messaging through SAP web app server. So, performance wise I do not think there will be any difference.

I am more concerned about the security and session handling.

Well, if we use Server Proxy, I know I can reap unlimited benefits like I can play with the data in R/3, or I can trace the message in R/3 at any point of time using SXMB_MONI.

But what are the security concerns involved in ES method.

And using ESA in this case does not add much because its not needed over here.

If we have any .Net or java application to integrate with, I would be more than happy to go for ES.

Well, in that case as well I would like to expose XI interface as web service rather than R/3 .

Regards

Pushkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

In ERP 2006, the base for exposing a RFC/Bapi as a webservice is Proxy. So You will have to create a Proxy first for exposing a RFC as a webservice. (There could be otherways of doing it . But this is preferred as per ESOA modeling). So i suggest you use proxy mechanism and you will have two options for consuming the RFC, 1. Through XI 2. Through your webservice runtime in SAP Application server.

Regards,

Arul

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arul,

I know whatever you are telling.

But i want to compare the server proxy, and web service approaches.

My concern is performance and security. What are the implications etc.

What I can make out of this is, if we want to integrate SAP systems with XI ABAP Proxies are the easiest and efficient approach.But at the same time I find ES approach to be pretty challenging and similar.

I am comparing these methods in context of XI.

Regards

Pushkar