Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is SAPS?

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

Can someone throw some light on SAPS?

I know it is used for CPU sizing. But how it is interpreted. For Example 4000 SAPS will require how many CPU ?

Cheers,

Bidwan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bidwan

Check this PDF for more details:

https://websmp202.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000523272005,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajat,

Thanks for all the info...

But i wanted to know what is the conversion factor of SAPS...

Say, the quicksizer calculates 4000 SAPS...So then, what should be the no. of CPUs,etc etc...

What does 4000 SAPS mean?

Cheers,

Bidwan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bidwan

As explained earlier SAPS is the unit of measurement used in sizing.

100 SAPS is equivalent to 256 MB memory or 1000 MB disk space.

In your case 4000 SAPS is equivalent to 160,000 MB disk space.

I hope you got your exact answer now.This is also mentioned in the pdf i gave you.

Any other issues revert back

Reward with maximum points.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great!!!!

Max points awarded

shahinmikailov
Explorer
0 Kudos

This is the best answer explained SAPS ever

Thanks Rajat,

Regards

Shahin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Can you please tell the hardware sizing for :

Production system 18700 SAPS

Developemnet System 3000 SAPS

Quality System 3000 SAPS

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gentlemen;

The correct answer can be derived from the post from Nikolai Sauerwald.

Below a quote from SAP about SAPS

“ SAP Application Performance Standard (SAPS) is a hardware-independent unit of measurement that describes the performance of a system configuration in the SAP environment. It is derived from the Sales and Distribution (SD) benchmark, where 100 SAPS is defined as 2,000 fully business processed order line items per hour. In technical terms, this throughput is achieved by processing 6,000 dialog steps (screen changes), 2,000 postings per hour in the SD Benchmark, or 2,400 SAP transactions. In the SD benchmark, fully business processed means the full business process of an order line item: creating the order, creating a delivery note for the order, displaying the order, changing the delivery, posting a goods issue, listing orders, and creating an invoice. “

Simpler explanation is not possible. conclusion is if your system can process 20.000 of the above line items per hour you have a 20.000 SAPS system.

hardware suppliers benchmark their hardware on SAPS. also for new systems or new functionality sizing projects should be done to determine the required number of SAPS for your system

0 Kudos

Hi Bidwan,

SAPS is a measurement unit for the performance / throughput

of a computer, if you use the computer for running SAP software.

It's definition is based on the SD - Benchmark scenario. For the throughput of a certain number of such scenarios in a certain time intervall you need a certain number of SAPS. So you see it' size is driven by the speed and the number of CPUs, as long as you have no bottleneck on any other required hardware resource. The speed of a processor is not only a function of it's frequence.

You can get a mapping between SAPS and hardware on the pages where the SAP standard application benchmarks of different HW partners are published.

http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/index.epx

http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd.epx

http://www50.sap.com/benchmarkdata/sd2tier.asp

This easy mapping gives you a good first idea of the system which roughly covers your needs.

Please be aware, that this 'easy' mapping may not lead you to the system, that will cover all your needs. Several reasons may lead to differences:

1.) You need more Memory

2.) You need more I/O

3.) You need more disc space

4.) You need more CPU, because your processes are more complex than the processes of the QS (strongly customizable processes)

5.) You have additional processes which are not covered by the QS

6.) You have additional processes which can not be covered by the QS (Customer coding, reports)

7.) Landscaping

Don't give me points, just believe me.

Best regards.

QS developer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

SAPS is the unit for calculation used in Sizing.Sizing means depending upon the factors like no of users,no of users that will do transactions,no of active users etc SAP recommends the hardware requirements for the clients.

If you visit http://service.sap.com/quicksizer ,it asks various details and depending on it SAP sends you the sizing details to be done for your setup.

Quicksizer is a tool provided by SAP for Sizing

The Quick Sizer calculates CPU, disk and memory resource categories based on throughput numbers, and the number of users working with the different mySAP Business Suite components in a hardware and database independent format. The purpose of the tool is to give customers and prospects an idea about the size of the system necessary to run the proposed workload. This is especially useful for initial budget planning.

Any speacific doubts rever back

Reward suiatble points