Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidating Material Master

former_member496675
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

When consolidating material master from R/3 into MDM, do we need to define a taxonomy in MDM (with attributes and hierarchy) for material classification?

What is the purpose of 'eClass' taxonomy table in Material repository supplied by SAP?

eClass standard supports 5 level hierarchy but my client has a 6 levels in material hierarchy. Does that mean we can't follow the eclass standard and we will have to design our own taxonomy structure?

Help in answering these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TS

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TS,

1.<i>When consolidating material master from R/3 into MDM, do we need to define a taxonomy in MDM (with attributes and hierarchy) for material classification?</i>

Ans :If u need u can define it in Import Manager by using split into hierarchy or in the Value mapping by adding the values as child or as sibling

2.<i>What is the purpose of 'eClass' taxonomy table in Material repository supplied by SAP? </i>

Ans: It has been provided for the reference.Also 6 levels of hierarchy can be maintained

Regards,

Ashwin M

Reward if helpful

former_member496675
Participant
0 Kudos

I guess I did not make myself clear in my post. So I'll try again.

First regarding eClass. eClass is a standard for defining product hierarchies. It is just like UNSPSC codes. You can download latest eClass files and then import them into your repository. My question is that when we are consolidating material master, do we have to (MUST HAVE?) first import eClass information to create the proper structure in Material Repository or it really varies from system to system and for some we do that and for some we dont. What are the cases where we do need to import eClass structure?

My other question was about defining taxonomy. Why is it that I see 'eClass' as a taxonomy table in Material Repository but no other taxonomy table. Do we normally not need a taxonomy when consolidating material master?

Regards,

TS