cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving database fron one host to another

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

The following is my scenario. I have Host A with EP 7.0 (oracle). I would like to shift just the database instance from Host A to Host B.

What would I need to besides copying the /oracle/SID/ from Host A to Host B, installing the oracle software on Host B and making sure the network/admin files point to Host B.

Could you please give me any pointers.

Thanks

Shabnam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

moving /oracle/SId will not work,

you will need to install EP and Oracle, then move DB across servers through network copy or backup/restore.

go read the homogeneous system copy guide at http://service.sap.com/INSTGUIDES

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Could you please explain why I would need to install EP on host B.

I want to change the system from central system to distributed system. I just want the database to reside on host B and EP on host A should be able to access the database on host B.

Thanks

Shabnam

former_member618758
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can do the above steps, things you need to make sure change the hostname in all references, like profiles, tnsnames, etc. I would try to get Oracle startup ok and test no problem first before go on to next.

Thanks,

George

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

not everything is installed/modified under /usr/sap and /oracle

you will find other files scattered around, especially for Oracle.

so, your best option is to re-install EP and Oracle on this server, once this is done, copy config files on your new server and move the DB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks All for your replies.

Eric, your point is taken. This is a test system and I would like to try moving just the database first.

I have copied the /oracle/<SID> file system from source host A to target host B. Database comes up fine in the target host.

I have changed the SAPDBHOST and j2ee/dbhost and the host in tnsnames on host A to point to host B.

How do I make Central Instance on host A recognize the database instance on host B.

Any pointers please.

Thanks

Shabnam

null

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions.

I was able to move the database to host B and was able to start EP on host A after making the necessary changes for the database connection.

Thanks

Shabnam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am facing a similar issue while changing DB host, I was able to get the server to work on a new DB host, but my Jco connection stopped working.

In the SLD we now have two entries for the WEBAS Java, one showing us as "<SID> on <original DB>" and the other displayed as "<SID> on <New DB>".

In our orginal configuration we had WAS and DB sitting on the same system. We're now trying to move the DB to a new System.

It'll be very helpful if you could shed some light on the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Aniruddha Gargya

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shabnam,

If you have setup your servers in the right way, then moving databases or application servers across will not be complicated. i.e. creating virtual hosts, ip addresses.

Regards,

Nisch