cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Design Questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

I’m writing my first Web Dynpro application and I’m afraid it is slightly more complicated than I would like my first one to be. I would like to solicit some high-level design advice. I’ll try to be as clear and concise as possible without boring you to tears.

I need to write a front-end to our Variant Configurator running in R/3. We’re going to dumb down the interface and make assumptions on required VC input based on the responses we get. Responses to questions will effect subsequent questions and applicable responses.

I envision writing a BAPI that will provide all possible questions and responses based on the selected scenario; this will be mapped to a context structure. In the QuestionAndResponseView controller I expect I will read that structure and dynamically build the list of relevant UI elements (Questions & Responses) that I will be map to another context structure. As questions are answered I envisioned moving those questions and responses to another context structured which will be mapped to another BAPI that upon execution will start the backend processing chain..

Does this very high-level approach sound feasible?

As mentioned subsequent questions and applicable responses can be affected by the previous questions. Ideally, there would be an event I could leverage after each question is answered that will allow me to determine the next question and its list of appropriate responses. It appears there is only an ON ENTER event – outside of a manual button driven one. Is this the case?

Points awarded for any and all comments!!!!

BTW: NWDS SP18

Thanks,

Greg

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi, it sound like you want a portion of the screen that updates live, while another is available to type in the answer.

I would say you could have two different WD components, the first is the main view containing an iframe and a place to answer your question while the second is the content you want to put in the iframe i.e. questions and answer from others you could then use the timer UI component to make the second component (the iframe content) reload at regular intervals.

yes, pretty well all event in webdynpro have to be generated by they user, the exceptioon is this timer UI component.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The iFrame would allow my app to interact with the backend w/o refreshing the entire page correct? I'm looking to also understand how I should structure my context to manage the colllected and presentation data. I'm still a little fuzzy on how I will map my Q&A data to the RFC model. The Question and available answers will come from one RFA while the submitted list of Questions and selected answers will go to another. Looks like I should spend more time in the example applications.

Thanks for the response.

/Greg

Answers (0)