cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning dependent and independent requirements in DP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a material A here that has a BOM defined. The components of the BOM are all dependent on the initial material. There are some cases where theBOM is recursive, meaning that the components of BOM could include material A. Now, I also have some more components that are infact independent of this material but are necessary for material A but it's dynamic. How do I plan this scenario in DP?

I think DP-BOM does the dependent requirements planning for the material A.

How do I plan for the dynamic components? I have some history on how they are generally consumed. So, should I plan them separately, I mean the material A along with the dependent components and the independent dynamic no. components? But the problem, I am guessing, comes up when we forecast more of the independent components and plan fewer for this month....Can somebody suggest me something?

I think I am correct in going for DP-BOM instead of CBF as I donot have variants involved here. Please correct me if I am wrong, we use DP-BOM when we need to plan on simple BOMs (no variants, multiple BOMs etc.) and use CBF in case we need to deal with variants involving characteristics.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Message was edited by:

Visu Venkat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Visu

Cant see a good case for CBF here. CBF would be used if your characterisitics have variants. So it would help you forecast cars as Red, blue, Green which are variants of the characteristics color

The issue with DP BOM would be if you have recursive cases. this would become cyclic and might be an issue (am not sure - need to test)

DP Bom seems to be a good case. You might have to update the BOM with the dynamic components and rerun the forecast when they change

A quick Question - How is the Bom for the dynamic materials. Is it 1:1 by any chance?

One more idea you can explore for the dynamic components is realignment copy of data.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm50/helpdata/en/61/7ade603472c447b0bb52d67391683e/content.htm

so you can copy from the SKU to the dynamic dependents if you devise a way to automate it using some tables that will have the mapping

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Thanks a lot for the reply. That's a great answer. Even I see DP-BOM as the solution. Not completely sure about the dyanamic components. As far as I know the recursion can be more than once for static components.

I couldn't understand what you are talking about the realignment. How can this help me? Can you give me more details please?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

no worries

the realignment is not meant for this purpose but you can try to use this functionality to meet our requirement

Lets say you have product A with components X, Y and Z

for simplicity's sake let us assume A has 1 each of X, y and Z

lets say you have combination : ProductA- Location 1000- DC T and Quantity 100 in month May

You would like to see

ProductX- Location 1000- DC T and Quantity 100 in month May

ProductY- Location 1000- DC T and Quantity 100 in month May

ProductZ- Location 1000- DC T and Quantity 100 in month May

you use realignment to generate new characteristic value combinations based on existing combinations and copy data from the source combinations to the new combinations

you can use realignment to create the 3 component combinations and copy data from A to X,Y,Z

the steps are mentioned here - so all you need is to maintain the realignment tables

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm50/helpdata/en/61/7ade603472c447b0bb52d67391683e/frameset.htm

you can also use factors to take care of multiples of components (say 2X for each A)

just avoiding the maintaince of DP BOMs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

I am sorry for the late reply. I now understand the realignment logic you said. I didn't know that we can use realignment in this way also. Brilliant.

One last question, regarding the dynamic components, "Now, I also have some more components that are in fact independent of this material but are necessary for material A but it's dynamic."?

How can I plan these? should I plan them separately?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

the realignment will depend on the realignment table. So if you devise a way to keep that as dynamic as your changes in the components you should be able to do that

there are quite a few ways you can achieve your means... the realignment thought occured because i was posting another answer on it

am sure there will be other issues we havent foreseen that might arise when you actually try it

here is another alternate you might want to try.... just some more vague thought....

if you are on SCM 5 (if you are on another version there are other ways of doing this)

1. create CV Cs based on a worklist that lists the dynamic components ... (you can automate this if you want - as long as there is a reference spreadsheet)

2. Create a selection profile that has the Main component and the dynamic components (lets assume there are 3 components and this will be a 1:1 ratio with the main productA)... now the total of the forecast for this selection profile will be say 100

2. Run a macro that will multiply the forecast with the number of products in it (so 100*4) . this will make the forecast 400

3. If you have set a disaggregation on the forecast KF that is equal distribution (this may not be the case in your business scenario) you will get 100 on each of the selections

am sure there are a lot of holes in this that can be plugged or variations worked on... depends what works easier for you...and the amount of maintainance and data involved ... it will all boil down to the business process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot. I will see how we can workout.

Answers (0)