Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Composite roles in the CUA Central Client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do all of my single roles from the child systems need to reside in the central system?

When I go to assign roles to a composite role, I can't see my roles that reside in the child systems.

I am hoping there is an answer to this as I do not want to have to create single roles in the central system as well.

If there is an answer to this, please advise!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Somehow I think we have gotten off course here on this thread.

I was looking for a solution to not having to create single and composite roles on the central client (managing roles globally from central system) when assigning roles in backend systems (cross clients).

Doesn't sound like I have a choice but to do the following:

Create a single role in the Central client with the same Name and Desc as the role in the backend but do not put in the authorizations. In the menu you fill in the target system, then you assign this role to the composite role.

Then assign composite role to end user in backend system.

21 REPLIES 21

Former Member
0 Kudos

Doug,

Are you trying to create cross system composite roles?

If so take a look at the following thread:

Cheers,

Ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your link takes me to the list of 7,000 entries, what is the name of the thread?

0 Kudos

Try this:

Francesc,

See my previous post on the subject:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/profile?userid=3581645

You do need to recreate, in the central system, the single role name and description and then fill out the target system under the menu tab. No need to distribute from the central system to the child.

Then create the composite in the central system. Add roles and the systems you set in the target system of the single roles will be listed.

Add composite role to user in central system and it will automatically add the other roles to the user.

Then look in the child systems and you should see the roles it added.

Cheers,

Ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tell me if this is correct.

You create a single role in the Central client with the same Name and Desc as the role in the backend but do not put in the authorizations. In the menu you fill in the target system, then you assign this role to the composite role.

How do you avoid clobbering the roles in the child system if the the role in the central client does not have all of the authorizations values filled in and you happen to click on text comparison?

What procedure do you go through for assigning cross system composite roles?

Do you upload the roles from the child system to the central system so the auth values are the same?

0 Kudos

You create a single role in the Central client with the same Name and Desc as the role in the backend but do not put in the authorizations. In the menu you fill in the target system, then you assign this role to the composite role.

Yes

How do you avoid clobbering the roles in the child system if the the role in the central client does not have all of the authorizations values filled in and you happen to click on text comparison?

Text comparison will not wipe it out. However if you click distribute from the central instance it will be. There is a warning screen after the button has been clicked.

What procedure do you go through for assigning cross system composite roles? The procedure would depend on the processes needed at your company. Approvals, etc.

Do you upload the roles from the child system to the central system so the auth values are the same? You could, but they would likely get out of sync fairly fast unless a large effort is in place to keep them consistent.

Cheers,

Ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

Running text Comparison on the role in the Central system will overlay your authorizations in the backend role. Right?

Have you ever overlayed any of your roles this way?

Thanks Ben, I will reward you with your points after your response!

0 Kudos

Text comparison does not overwrite in the environment I work on. Only if you click distribute.

Run a test on your system to verify.

Cheers,

Ben

0 Kudos

Text compare only informs the parent CUA of the roles in the child systems. Now if you run SCUG, Pick a child system and choose the tab 'already central user' this will overwrite what the 'parent' system has for role assignments for the users. (but just for that one child system)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Doug, none of your roles need to exist in the central system. Once you run SCUG and transfer all your users and run one text compare from PFCG your central system will know about all the roles in the child system(s)

0 Kudos

None of the roles need to exist unless you are trying to do cross system composite roles.

Cheers,

Ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I can avoid setting up roles in the Central Client I will.

When I go into pfcg and a composite role and I click on the dropdown for roles I can only see the roles that reside in the Central client, I can not see the roles that reside in the child systems.

I thought one of you said I should be able to see them.

I have run text comparison in PFCG and still no roles.

What am I doing wrong?

I am trying to assign roles that reside in the child system to the composite role residing in the central system.

0 Kudos

Doug,

Your roles will not show up in PFCG for assignment in composite roles by running text comparison. Text comparison only makes them show up for user assignment in the respective system.

Cheers,

Ben

0 Kudos

Benjamin's right Doug. you won't see the roles in PFCG from your other clients BUT when you run SU01 you will be able to see the both the composites and the master roles for each child system. Now if you try to doubleclick on the role while assigning it to a user you'll get the error the role does not exist(this is normal as the role does not exist in the parent)

Once you start using CUA you'll figure all this out very quickly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sounds like I am back to creating roles in the Central client. David, maybe you could expand on your asnwer regarding SCUG, I am not sure I understand it.

0 Kudos

Doug, you don't need any roles at all in your central client. first make sure roles are manged centrally by checking SCUM. Then go into SCUG and choose the child system you're having problems with. Click on the "user" box with the down arrows and make sure the first three tabs have no users in them. if they do select each user and click the transfer button. Now to sync roles to users choose the fouth tab "already central user" select all users and click the "role assignments" button. now go into SCUL and execute to see if any errors out there. Some times CUA gets a little out of whack and you'll need to select all the users again and hit the re-distribute button.

Once you've confirrmend there are no errors go into su01 and the roles tab and see if you can pick a child system. If you don't see any roles now do a "text comparision fron chil sys" and look below your see the clock checking all the rfc connections. If you still don't see anything then I'd suggest checking your RFC logon connections and removing and readding the child with an account that has SAP_ALL

0 Kudos

I don't have a problem with SU01, its PFCG where I can't see the roles in child systems for assignment to composite role. SU01 looks fine.

0 Kudos

You'll have to do the composite assignments in the child clients and then you'll be able to see them in the CUA parent. You can't manage roles for child clients in the CUA master. CUA is only used to manage users

Former Member
0 Kudos

With CUA you can only assign roles in the master client if global paramater is turned on.

0 Kudos

I'm sorry, my previous post was misleading. I said you can only manage users not roles. What I meant was in the master you can manage user properties, addresses, roles and profile assignments. In the Parent you cannot manage roles themselves in the CHILD systems. Meaning you cannot run PFCG in the parent CUA and edit the roles that are in the child systems. When you run PFCG in the parent you will only see roles that exist in the parent.

This should not restrict you in any way from assigning users to composite roles in the child systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Somehow I think we have gotten off course here on this thread.

I was looking for a solution to not having to create single and composite roles on the central client (managing roles globally from central system) when assigning roles in backend systems (cross clients).

Doesn't sound like I have a choice but to do the following:

Create a single role in the Central client with the same Name and Desc as the role in the backend but do not put in the authorizations. In the menu you fill in the target system, then you assign this role to the composite role.

0 Kudos

Yes

Cheers,

Ben