cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hierarchy of servers and instances

Former Member
0 Kudos

can anyone clear me about the hierarchy of the following or which resides where :

1. Sap systems like R/3, SRM, CRM etc.

2. Landscapes

3. Application server

4. Database server

5. Central instance

6. Database instance

7. other instances

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dinesh,

I think it is better for you to do an installation on SAP R/3, so that you will come to know where these terms will be used in real scenario.

Application server is the one where your the entire applications are executed.

Database server is the one where the entire data is stored.

Central instance is the one where you have all types of work process such as spool, bacground, enque etc..

Database instance is the instance of the database server where the entire data is stored.

Regards,

Bharath.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

Thanks for your explanations....

since i am the fresher i have little options to work with the servers and instances.

i will install R/3 soon.

thanks,

Dinesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

Clarify me that SRM itself is in the sap system landscape and SRM has its own application servers and instances

am i right?

Regards,

Dinesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dinesh

Any SAP system has BASIS/WebAS/App server as its platform without which it can function.

regards

krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dinesh,

SRM is one of the application of SAP netweaver that integartes easily in SAP system landscapes.

For information go through the below link

http://www.sap.com/solutions/business-suite/srm/technicaldetails/technology.epx

Regards,

Bharath

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

Firstly differentiate between Database and SAP R/3 application.

Database server will have database, which simply is a data store and database instance which comprises of all the processes that make it operatable. Processes like which make any application to access the information in database.

Now, a SAP solution comprises of instances too which reside on application server, which again is a collection of different processes that make system runnable. Instances in SAP are divided into two parts:

1) Central Instance: which has processes governing all other instances.

2) Application Instance: Can be many, depending upon how many users and their type of work.

All these together make up a landscape for a particular customer.

Award points if usefull.

Regards, Shantanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

First you have the DB server . On top of it runs the DB instance. and then the Appserver> Central Instance> Systems in the landscapes--> other instances

regards

krishna