cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when to select smtp and imap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

we all know receiver (inbound interface) mail adapter supports SMPT, IMAP. If anybody knows ......could you please tell me which mail servers supports these protocols ??

thanks

kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

from the online help,

SMTP

You use SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to transfer e-mails to an e-mail server.

IMAP4

You use IMAP4 (Internet Message Access Protocol) to put e-mails in a folder of an e-mail server.

Basically when you want to send the Email to the Inbox of a Mail Server use , SMTP. If you want the mail to be sent to a particualr folder in your Mail Box use IMAP4.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I was expecting different mail server names .......like microsoft exchange server etc. And I want to know which one supports which transport protocols ??

thanks

kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

all the mail servers support both the protocols,u decide based upon ur preference ,as said above,use SMTP for send mail to ur mail id's and use IMAP4 to send to specific folder.

thanx

ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

thanks for your reply ! But I have gone through previous forum threadS........and came to know some mail servers wont support either SMPT and IMAP. So that's why I put this question.

thanks

kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kumar,

Normally we use Microsfot exchange server or IBM lotus notes. Both these supports these two protocols. So dont worry about that.

---Satish

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

The SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) protocol is used by the Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) to deliver your eMail to the recipient's mail server. The SMTP protocol can only be used to send emails, not to receive them. Depending on your network / ISP settings, you may only be able to use the SMTP protocol under certain conditions

IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) – Is a standard protocol for accessing e-mail from your local server. IMAP is a client/server protocol in which e-mail is received and held for you by your Internet server. As this requires only a small data transfer this works well even over a slow connection such as a modem. Only if you request to read a specific email message will it be downloaded from the server. You can also create and manipulate folders or mailboxes on the server, delete messages etc.

From

http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/protocol.html

)

Regards,

Prateek