cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java 32 bit vs 64 bit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are upgrading our R/3 4.6C system to mySAP ERP 2005 (ECC 6.0). In the process of doing this upgrade, we are moving from 32 bit hardware to 64 bit hardware.

My question. Since we will have a Java stack with the new environment and this new stack will live on 64 bit hardware, do the developers, who will be writing some Java code in the future, need to have 64 bit hardware on the development work stations?

I know that a 64 bit version of the J2SE was installed on the ECC 6.0 servers prior to the ECC 6.0 upgrade, so this begs my original question because on the development laptops, we are running 32 bit hardware and a 32 bit version of the J2SE (version 1.4.2.11, to be specific).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bryan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bryan,

The idea of Java is that the Java VM does this for you. The Java VMs are developed to be platform specific. You can write once and then run the code anywhere there is a Java VM.

You should standardize on the same release version of your VM but it is not necessary that the OS of your system match the OS of the target unless you are specifically calling extensions that only reside on that target.

-jwise

Answers (0)