cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem loading vector EPS images

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All-

I'm having trouble loading vector EPS files (created in Adobe Illustrator CS2) in the data manager (version 5.5.34.46). I have Photoshop CS2 installed and have run the registry compatibility update. When I select the image to add to my data group, Photoshop launches (usually..) to load the preview image but when I say OK, I get one of the following errors:

1. Illegal value for parameter (within Data Manager)

2. Unspecified error (within Data Manager)

3. Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error (within Data Manager)

4. Virtual function call failed (within Photoshop)

I am able to load TIF images although the preview images do not display correctly but I do not want to rasterize my existing vector EPS files.

After setting the images to RGB color space, I was able to do 2 or 3 EPS imports but it took several attempts and has since not functioned at all. The properties on these files show that they are in fact vector and they work downstream in Publisher and InDesign. This is how I'd like them all to work.

Any suggestions on how to make this work? Are vector EPS files supported?

Thanks

Tim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Update:

We've upgraded to the latest hotfix for SP4 (5.5.36.40) but are still having issues. Now when I select the EPS for upload, Photoshop launches but no preview appears. I get a single error, "MDM Server Error", within Data Manager but nothing appears in the Server or Assertion logs to describe what's happening.

Still open to any advice..........

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tim,

Have you set the repository to allow Photoshop images?

In the Console right-click on the repository, select properties, and turn on the option to allow Photoshop images. There are also options for forcing MDM to use Photoshop for images and also to allow invalid images.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tim,

I had the option to allow Photoshop images set, but needed to also set the 'allow invalid images' option. At first I didn't think this was working because I could not get a preview in Data Manager, and in Publisher there was an empty box for the graphic that stated "Could not load image". If I actually publish to InDesign however, the EPS is loaded and works fine.

Not having a preview image within Publisher is definitely a disadvantage for the layout folks, but its better than having to rasterize all of the graphics.

On a side note, during my testing I found that if you link to the image file instead of loading it to the repository that you can not publish it to InDesign at all. All you get is an empty graphic box and no description of the link. I see this as another disadvantage because it forces us to bloat the repository with BLOB data.

Thanks again for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tim,

I don't think you should have to select the invalid images options, but I think it helps get through the current situation. I've been having image problems with SP04 myself that I did not have with previous versions. There should be a preview image in the Publisher and not just a generic graphic. Try using just a basic jpg and see how it looks. Also, I've heard that storing the images as links should work for publishing as long as you are publishing using Originals. There is a bug in trying to publish variants of linked images. I'm hoping that the SP05 version to be released next week will clear up these issues.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tim-

Before upgrading to the latest hotfix, I did get a couple vector EPS files to load, and the preview did exist in Data Manager and Publisher. Trouble was, I couldn't consistently load the images without errors. Now I can load the images, but lost the preview. For the time being, this is the lesser of 2 evils.

I do not have any variants defined at this point so I can verify that linked images do NOT get published to InDesign (unless there is another setting I haven't found to force MDM to use Originals).

All of the raster graphics I tried (TIF & JPG) work just fine in Publisher and InDesign but as you probably know, vector graphics are the smaller and produce better results for DTP applications so they are preferred, if the choice is available.

If you're going to load SP05 right away, please post any findings that relate to these issues.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tim,

Just a little more info for you that I have found out. Starting with SP04 Patch03 there is a new imaging library being used. You need to use Photoshop CS2 and you do not need to load the registry fix. You said you were using CS2 so I don't know that this is your issue or not. Maybe try reinstalling Photoshop CS2 without using the registry fix and see what happens.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good advice Tim, Thanks.

When I reinstalled CS2, my image problems were cleared up. I am now able to load vector EPS files with a preview and regenerate the preview on images that are already in the repository using Data Manager.

Tim

Answers (0)