cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales order assignment to WBS element

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can somebody tell me Where a Sales order is assigned to a WBS element?

I am aware that it is assigned to WBS element Field in Item details>>Account assignment Tab. But in this tab page on Sales Order screen, I am not able to see WBS Element field. I am able to see the WBS element field for FERT items but not for DIEN.

Can somebody tell me where exactly is this done so that I get the WBS element field populated in SO?

Rgds

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Hope the following will fulfill u r requirement

1) What is WBS element?

2) What is the Tcode to get to that screen?

3) What is the need and pupose of WBS element?

4) Do we happen to work on Functional module during our implementaion project? 5) In what scenario/situation we will be working on WBS?

WBS is nothing but Work Breakdown Structure. It is mainly used in Project System (PS) module. Tcode : CJ20N

For any project defined we must have atleast one WBS. Within this WBS we can have networks. Networks are nothing but the series of activities. Material are used to perform the activities.

To explain in detail just consider one example:

Govt of india wants to have Roads to be build through out the india. So Project can be defined in sap as “Connectivity”.

WBS can be roads within different states like Roads for Gujarat, Karnataka etc.. i.e. WBS Gujarat, WBS Karnataka etc.

We can define different networks for these WBS like Road Between Ahmedabad to Surat or Between Bangalore to Belgham.

For this network we can have many activities like Land selection, Land Preparation, Road Building, Final finishing etc etc.

Hemal’s example was a good example. Project Systems comes into play only when the industry’s business is based on projects like… Construction companies, Engineer to Order scenarios. You may not see anyone using PS module for retail business. As Hemal explained in that example, you have a main project which is broken down into WBS elements. You can use the TC CJ20N to create the project and the WBS elements. Each WBS may have mutiple Networks associated and each Network may have multiple Network Activities as explained in the example by Hemal.

On the Sales Order, if your client is implementing PS module, you may have to attach the Sales Order to the WBS element it belongs to. WBS element is nothing but a bucket where all the activities belonging to that particular part of the project are captured. In the example, WBS Gujurat will tell you how many Sales Orders were created for the Gujurat sector, howmuch was spent on raw materials, what’s the currect stock ([roject stock) available. How many Production Orders have been confirmed and howmany of them are getting confrmed in the future. How many invoices have been generated or how much revenue has been generated for that particular sector. How many deliveries have been made, what deliverables are still not accomplished.

So as you can see, PS is the center stage for all the modules that are being implemented like FI/CO, SD, MM, PP in this example. You can have cost centers and work centers defined. You can also have profit centers assigned at the plant level and get reports on varius selection criteria.

In a complete cycle of PS, like in reality, you initiate a project, you confirm/release the WBS/activities as per requirement, you execute the project and you close it.

One cannot initiate an activity unless it has been released by the project manager. Everything is accountable here and every dime is counted and at the end you know howmuch did you spend or make on each sector (WBS). Dont get confused with the term sector here… I am using it just for the explaination purposes.

In one typical example, the company I was working with until not too long ago, had Deliveries from the Project (TC: CNS0). We never used VL01N. We used CNS0 to create a delivery and then used VL02N for confirming the picking quantity for the already created delivery document.

I hope this should help you at least a bit. I’m not a PS consultant so I may not know a whole lot but trying going to CJ20N and you will see a lot yourself.

PS concultants are one of the highest paid consultants. Their supply is less and so is the demand. They are expected to understand real world business processes very well and they are generally the center stage of a project.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seshagiri,

Thanks for your response. In fact I am aware of the usage and purpose etc., But, my problem is when I click the sales order line item and go to account assignment tab, the WBS element field is not there. If the field is there I can fill in the WBS element and save it.

Any Idea, where do I need to do the config setting changes as I get this field for FERT goods and not for other materials?

Rgds

Former Member
0 Kudos

you need to use the approriate Item Category.Group (LEIS) in the Service material master of DIEN type

In SAP std., <b>OR LEIS TAD</b>- service will be determined.

Then WBS element will appear in the <i>account assignment</i> tab

anbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anbu,

I was just reading your comment with regards to sales order assignment to WBS element.

I'm facing a simular isssue as well, only not with Sales Order but with a Service Contract.

I've created a new service contract type en item category based on de SAP standard WV/WVN. When I get to the tab account assignment, on item level, I can’t see the field WBS-element.

Now here comes the stunning part, if I remove the value in the field plant in the Shipping tab (also on item level) the field WBS-element becomes visible in de account assignment tab.

Do you have any idea what kind of influence a plant can have on account assignment, or do you have any other ideas why WBS element is not visible on the account assignment tab?

Regards, Sander

bcrao
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We will assign plant to project and wbs element in assignment tab. cj02 and cj12

regards

chidambaram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Unfortunately this solutions doesn't work, because when linkin an item of a standaard order to WBS is no problem. If this was the correct solution, then i should have this issue with all sales document types. I only have this issue with service contracts

In fact the issue is that when the field "plant" on item level is populated i'm not able to create een account assignment based on WBS-element on item level, because the field WBS element is NOT visible at all. Now when i remove the plant, the WBS element becomes visible en possible for entry.

Any idea about the RC of this?

Thanks,

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as my usage of WBS element goes, i link my DIEN kind of a material to a network profile. Check out T-code CN08. But, how to create a network profile, is something a PS guy will tell you about.

Once you have CN08 settings in place, as soon as you enter the material in the sales order and save the document, a WBS element is created. Try this config.

Reward points if helpful.

Regards

Ananth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info, but this not info i'm looking for.

In short i need to know what relationship there is on item level between:

1. plant

2. WBS-element

If i empty the field plant on the shipping tab, the entire field WBS-element becomes visible on the accountassignment tab. If i populate the field plant on the shipping tab, the entire field WBS-element disappears on the accountassignment tab. I have this issue only for the Standard Service Contract type in SAP. Who can help here?

Regards

former_member661593
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Has your problem been solved? If not then add two views in Dien material

1. MRP 1 (ND as MRP type)

2. MRP 3 (00 as strategy gp) for

You will be able to see the WBS element field at item level.

Let me know further if u ve any more problem.

I do have a query, how did u upload the BOQ at sales order or quotation? If you have done so, please revert immediately as I need this information urgently.

Regards

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

WBS element is a part of PS as the guest has explained so very well. A Project consists of a project definition under which there is a root WBS under which WBS elements are attached. WBS is a work breakdown structure and WBS elements are work packages. Networks contain activities and they are in turn attached to WBS. Now any activity will ahve either material, labour activity, extenrally processed or internally processed activity.

These come after the sales order but we shall come to it later.

Now every material, internal, external actvity or a cost activity is attached to an activity. These are aggregated from bottom to top and aggregated at the project level / root WBS.

To cut the long story short the sales order is attached to the root WBS at the top of the strucure because the sales order is for a project.

The materials, labour, cost are attached to each and every activity which forms part of the network .

This is part of what in SAP is called PLM - Product lifecycle management. If anyone is interested they can check oout the PLM 200 which the first of the many guides on the subject.

Hope I ahve thrown some light on this. So Please do not even try to attempt anyting from SD. Its the PS consultant who knows where to attach it.

The SD's job is to process milestone billing after confirmation from Projects. Milestones similarly are attached to certain activity completion and it specifies how much should be billed and when.

Apart from this SD can use the project quotation from the Project by taking the BOQ and populating a header condition to load profits and oterh expenses and populate all items equally as a percentage.

regards

Jude