cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro in Internet Explorer vs Firefox

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We created a Web Dynpro with an application and views as per usual.

Everything looks fine in Firefox (2.0), but when running the Web Dynpro through Internet Explorer 6.0 there are a lot GUI bugs (elements not being aligned, the right length, etc.)

Is there any way to fix this, we didn't do anything 'strange' in our layouts?

Thanks,

JP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JP,

Different browsers behave differently no doubt about that, this is not the case with webdynpro but it's even with simple html as well. <b>for example</b>: drop down in html looks different in IE, Opera and firefox that means even simple html tags behave differently, so it's not a problem with the tag but with the browser and there may be diferent reasons why browsers are programmed to behave that way.

Similarly alignments may behave differently in different browsers. So it is always recommended to test your view in different browsers.

Tip 1: Matrix Layout is recommended

Tip 2: Use Transparent Containers over Groups

Tip 3: first adapt your UI elements for Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, when you are done with alignments then test the same on firefox.

Best Regards,

Amol Bharti

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

That sounds strange as my experience is that Web Dynpro applications look better in IE than in Firefox. Perhaps the style sheets are not correctly loaded? Is the applicationrunning inside the Portal?

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for the answers.

Armin - I'm also used to Web Dynpro apps looking better in IE than in Firefox, so the problems with our current app came as quite a suprise. How can I check if the style sheets are being loaded correctly? We tested the application inside a Portal role and standalone through the test function, and the alignment is wrong in both.

Amol - I understand that certain things look different in different browsers, but I'm not used to such major inconsistencies. I'm also not sure how to adapt the GUI layout to work correctly in IE, as it seems that the changes I make don't do much.

For example, I created two buttons next to each other in a TransparentContainer with MatrixLayout and they displayed fine in IE. But when I changed the styles of the two buttons to "previous" and "next" respectively, the one displayed much lower than the other (nearly half-way). Also, I created a DropDownBox next to a label in MatrixLayout, and no matter what value I set the width to, the DropDownBox is only a few pixels wide in IE (but perfect in FireFox). Strangely enough, after selecting a value from the DropDownBox (and waiting for the subsequent postback, as the DropDownBox is connected to an action), the DropDownBox resizes to the correct width in IE.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Open an OSS message (BC-WD-CLT-HTML).

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Armin, before doing that I'd just like to make 100% sure it's not just something on our side. We tried running the app in a different minor version of IE 6 and received this error:

Line: 18
Char: 8606
Error: 'style' is null or not an object
Code: 0

Is this a stylesheet problem?

If so, how can we try and fix it?

If opening an OSS note is the only way to go, I'll do that a bit later today.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi smith,

look at this thread,it's helpful for u

regards,

vino