cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Build This in the Portal?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am a new to SAP Enterprise Portal and have some little Java development experience. I have built a Java system using Sun One Studio and Tomcat that includes the following:

1. A JSP that presents a table of customers to a sales rep, allowing them to search on customer name, city, state and/or zip code.

2. A Java module to act as controller, receiving the JSP as input, passing the selection parms to the XML module, receiving an ArrayList of customer objects in return and then re-displaying the JSP.

3. A Java XML module that uses the SAX classes to read through an XML file, selecting customers based on the specified criteria.

4. A helper class that creates customer objects passed in the ArrayList.

I have searched through SDN and have read a lot of material, and am now asking for some advice. How should this be designed and programmed so that it will execute within SAP Enterprise Portal 6.0? Is NetWeaver Developer Studio the proper tool to use?

I can provide more information, if necessary.

Any help you give me would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

daniel_davinci
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

The NWDS is the right tool for developing your application into the EP environment. If you have not already download the PDK for EP and install the NWDS. The PDK contains some helpful documents on getting started with developing for EP. Use the examples in the PDK to get you started before importing your application.

I suggest that you write a very simple application for the portal 1st and get a feel for how it fits together before putting your own app into the portal.

Good luck.

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply!

I've already down-loaded NWDS and have built two applications - one launches iNotes (Notes WebMail) and the other applies an XSLT against an XML file (an adaptation of one of the entries in SDN).

But with regard to the design - what approach should I use? Based on what I described above (experience with JSP and servlets) creating an Abstract Portal Component doesn't seem right, and neither does creating a Dynpro app.

Anybody else have any ideas? Is there any rough equivalent to the JSP/servlet design?

Much appreciated!

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

the EP equivalent to servlet/JSP is the JSPDynPage concept, where the JSPDynPage class is "the servlet part" and after doing some process redirects to a JSP (using beans composed by the JSPDynPage class).

See http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/95/cfa441cd47a209e10000000a155106/frameset.htm for an introduction.

Hope it helps

Detlev

Answers (0)